Monday, 21 September 2026

Youngs boiling and fermentation in 1943

A Youngs Winter Warmer label with a drawing of a ram.
We’ll roll right along with a couple of processes.

Nothing much happening with the boil. Exactly the same as in 1940. Pretty boring, that.

The pitching and maximum fermentation temperatures are just about exactly the same as in 1940. Pitched at 58º F or 59º F and peaking in the high 60sº F. I suppose that they had no reason to change, so why would they?

Slightly longer fermentation times or around a day are a bit unexpected. I do need to point out here that they were quite variable, from five to nine days. When it comes to the fermentation times, the examples I have taken are pretty random. Well, totally random, really.

That's me done with Young's beers in 1943. Where should I go next? 1944 or straight to 1945? Or should I go backwards to 1941 0r 1942? I'll have to have a think. 

Youngs boiling and fermentation in 1943
Beer Style boil time (hours) Pitch temp max. ferment-ation temp length of fermen-tation (days) dropped after (hours)
A Mild 1.75 1.75 59º F 64.5º F 8  
X Mild 2 2 58º F 67º F 8 38
PAB Pale Ale 2 2 59º F 66.5º F 7  
PA Pale Ale 2 2 58º F 70.75º F 7 37
XXX Strong Ale 2 2 58º F 67.75º F 6  
  Average 1.95 1.95 58.40º F 67.30º F 7.2 37.5
Source:
Young's brewing record held at Battersea Library, document number YO/RE/1/12.

 

No comments: