Friday, 18 September 2026

Youngs hops in 1943

A Youngs Brown Ale label with drawings of a ram and hop flowers.
A lack of excitement continues with the hops. Which are the same in every single beer. Just the two types, both from the 1942 harvest.  One Worcester, the other Mid-Kent “BG”. I’m guessing that stands for Brewer’s Gold.

What’s notable? All English hops and all from the most recent season. I think I can understand why. All English hops, because no hops had been imported since 1939. All from the most recent season because all the stocks of older hops had already been used up.

This demonstrates something about WW II brewing. UK brewers became almost totally dependent on UK-grown ingredients. Something which, WW I excepted, hadn't been the case since the first half of the 19th century. Though reductions in the strength and quantity of beer brewed after WW I, made the UK much less dependent on imported hops between the wars.

I hope you're enjoying all this stuff about Youngs during WW II. It's a preview of the book I'm writing about Youngs. Rather imaginatively called ""Youngs!". Who could have guessed that? 

Youngs hops in 1943
Beer Style hop 1 hop 2
A Mild Worcs. 1942 MK "BG" 1942
X Mild Worcs. 1942 MK "BG" 1942
PAB Pale Ale Worcs. 1942 MK "BG" 1942
PA Pale Ale Worcs. 1942 MK "BG" 1942
XXX Strong Ale Worcs. 1942 MK "BG" 1942
Source:
Young's brewing record held at Battersea Library, document number YO/RE/1/12.

 

No comments: