Monday, 5 October 2026

Quiet Monday judging

I rise at 6:45 and shower. Then wander downstairs for brekkie.

It was much quieter overnight. And the noise stopped at 1:00. I guess because it was a Sunday.

A toasted bun with a hard-fried egg and two strips of bacon.

I am a little hungry and get an egg and bacon sandwich. This being Colombia, the egg is hard fried. The only other time I visited in Colombia, I spent most of the trip in search of a fried egg with a liquid yolk.

I'm judging with Chris Flaskamp and Panamanian Cesar Sanchez. It’s the first time I’ve judged with Chris. Should be fun.

This morning, we're judging homebrewed beers. Starting with American Amber Ale. The first beer is really nice. Unlike the ones that follow.

I check on the status of my books. Still in customs. I hope that they’re released by tomorrow when the congress starts. That’s when I’m supposed to be selling them. This is so frustrating.

We're done at 11:50. The last beer, with honey and ginger, is the pick of the bunch.

We quickly have lunch and then I go with Chris and Markus to Exito, a massive shop that sells everything. Sort of the local equivalent of Asda. Where I pick up a new phone. With a Columbian SIM. Brilliant. Now I can take photos again. I am a few hundred euros light, though. I try to convince myself that I needed a new phone, anyway. I’m almost successful.

Three tables, each occupied by denim-shirt-weating judges with laptops.

The afternoon is all professionally-brewed Belgian styles. It's by far the best flight so far. We award two gold medals, to a couple of very good beers.

We're quick again. Finishing at 16:15. Luckily were not punished for finishing early by being given extra flights. Giving me a little time to chill in my room. Not literally, obviously, there being no aircon. Sweat in my room would be more accurate.

The group photo is scheduled for 17:30. I get down at 17:25 and they've already started. That's weird: starting early in South America. Chris, who arrives on time, misses it completely.

Buses leave for tonight's destination - Torrealta brewery - just before 18:00.  It's quite a drive, up into the hills around Medellin. I'm sure that it's very scenic. not that we can tell, as it's dark.

It takes almost an hour of winding roads to get there.  Mostly uphill. We climb around 1,000 metres, then drop down a few hundred. The brewery lies at around 2,100 metres.

I get myself a Tripel, as the brewery is known for Belgian styles. It’s pretty nice. 

I stare through the huge windows at the brewhouse, drooling slightly. As us nerds are supposed to. Judging by the number of fermenters, they must brew quite a lot of beer.

A tall room with two levels of shiny conical fermenters.

I sit outside. Then Chris invites me over to what he calls the “gringo table”. (Is it OK to say that?) With Scott, Markus, Shweta, Noelle, Eugene and John Palmer. And Chris, of course. It's all quite jolly.

I'm glad that we were warned to bring warm clothes. It's distinctly chilly up here. Even with the outdoor heaters. It is pretty high up.

Pizza is being served. I'm not too hungry, but force myself to eat a couple of slices. It’s quite nice. And will keep me fuelled for a while.

The plan for buses back at 21:00 and 22:00 falls through when too few want to take the earlier bus. (Obviously, miserable, old twat that I am, I was down for the earlier bus.)  Meaning I won't be back in the hotel before 23:00.

Chris persuades us to move inside. After a while Laeddy comes up to tell me and Scott that we won't be required to judge tomorrow morning. Just for the Best of Show, starting at 14:00. Yippee! The whole morning off.

I'm pretty knacked when we tip onto the bus. Despite only having drunk the one beer. The return journey is a little quicker, as there's less traffic. And we get the splendid sight of Medellin’s sparkling bowl at night.

As I don't have to be up early tomorrow, I stay up watching YouTube a little. Before the Jura gently eases me to slumber.



TorreAlta Cervecería
Don Diego - La Ceja, 
Don Diego, 
Retiro, 
Antioquia. 

No comments: