Tuesday 26 December 2017

Wrong Hall

You may remember me posting about Balderton Hall, home of one of the Warwick family. One of the directors of Warwicks & Richardsons brewery in Newark.

I sort of assumed it must have been the only large house I could remember in Balderton. But after a bit more digging in the web I realised that there were two halls in Balderton. The Old Hall in the centre of the old village:


Interestingly, there was a malthouse right behind it according to this map from just before WW I:


Mr. Warwick, however, lived at Balderton Hall or Balderton New Hall. This was a little outside the village. On the site that I knew only as the mental hospital. I didn't realise that it had been a posh house before becoming a hospital.


Here's an Edwardian map of this Hall (the road on the bottom left is the old A1):


1 comment:

A Brew Rat said...

It doesn't look like the kind of place that Bertie Wooster would go to for a country holiday.