Monday 23 February 2009

Let's brew 1860 Truman XXX Mild

Not quite the Imperial Mild I mentioned yesterday. I'm working my way up to that. Just a Triple Mild, or XXX as the Victorians knew it.

Mild has changed quite a bit over the years. The beer below, Truman XXX Mild from 1860, is a typical strong Mild from the mid-19th century. Not many people today would imagine that Mild could have such a high gravity. 1087º in this case. You'll not that the beer is pale in colour, too. With half the grain bill white malt, it must have been pretty pale.

Before anyone brings it up, I'll apologise for the missing details. Truman logs of this period don't mention mashing times or boil times. In fact, the mashing details overall are a bit vague. I think I've manged to work out what little there is. The temperatures do look a bit high, though.


As a special treat, here's the log:


See if I've missed anything.

More tomorrow. Maybe even at last an Imperial Mild.

No comments: