Monday 19 December 2022

It's that time of year again

So start sharpening your string, sanding your eggs and detoxing your livers. Because it's almost time for my Christmas Drinkalongathon.

What with inflation and the general cost of living crisis, I've tried to make this year's requirements less expensive. Who can afford to buy Islay whisky? I know I can't. And I saw Dolores eyeing up the discount whisky section in the offie. I doubt I'll be getting anything fancy as a present this year.

So here is the austerity Drinkalongathon list:

- two half pieces of string

- 1 bottle of cheap whisky

- 2 bottles of really cheap whisky

- 4 bottles of really, really cheap whisky

- 2 hard boiled eggs

- 4 really hard boiled eggs

- 1 hard boiled detective

- 1 bottle of cooking sherry

- 2 bottles of the pretend port they sell dead cheap in the supermarket

- 1 crate of St. Bernardus Abt (I'm not going to economise on that)

- 2 packets of instant bacon

- 1 protractor (for the annual maths exam)

- no calculator (for the annual maths exam)

- 1 litre of Lidl gin

- 3 quarter pieces of string

- 1 bottle supermarket own brand tonic water*

- 8 cans of Ace Lager 

- half a bottle of rum nicked from Andrew

Stock up and drink along! Maybe we can beat last year's total of 1 participant! (Me.)

 Remember, it's never too early to start drinking for Christmas.


* The way I pour myself a gin & tonic, most of it isn't the mixer, so why waste money on posh tonic?

4 comments:

Ed said...

Given the current economic situation it's good to see such modest string requirements this year.

Anonymous said...

I only have one 20cm half piece of string this year. I'm unwilling to buy another, given the price of string these days, so can I just cut that half piece in two? That said, I have five 10cm quarter pieces this year, so could I tie two of those together to make the half piece, leaving three quarter pieces? Make do and mend, etc.?

Anonymous said...

I think Ron's rule on string cutting is you can only do it lengthwise.

Steve D. said...

If you have the Zoom videoconferencing software program, on New Year's Eve, members of the FlyerTalk forum have a New Year's Around the Clock which orbits around drinking on camera and conversing with other people in the meeting. Somewhat like heading down to the pub, but without the toil of travelling and the cost of drinking. Consider it. 8=)}