Tuesday 4 August 2009

Keg Mild

Whitbread didn't just analyse Keg Bitters. They did a few Keg Milds, too. That they are far fewer in number than the Keg Bitters, says much of Mild's declining popularity and brewers' attitudes towards it.

Something really surprised me about these numbers. In relation to those I published yesterday for Keg Bitter. Take a look and see if you can spot it.



Can't see what I'm getting at? I'll tell you then. The average price per gravity point for Keg Mild and Keg Bitter is exactly the same. And so is the price per gravity point for non-keg Mild and non-keg Bitter. Weird, eh?

What else have I noticed? That the gravity of Keg Mild was a little higher than non-keg. But there was a big difference in average ABV - a full 0.5% - because the attenuation of keg was much higher. Keg averaged 84% apparent attenuation, non-keg 75%. I wonder why that was? Though, given the small sample size, this may not be as significant as it appears.

No comments: