Sunday 2 August 2009

Glasgow here we come

After a bit of fretting and fiddling with flights, we've booked a few days in Glasgow. I'd been wanting to visit the city for a while.

Given Andrew's aversion to heat, Scotland seemed a good choice. It was that or Ireland. Or Iceland. But that was no-no due to Lexie's feelings about volcanoes. Edinburgh or Glasgow - which to choose? Edinburgh has the castle, Holyrood Palace, the Scottish parliament and two crap football teams. Glasgow has Govan. And the Scottish Brewing Archive.

No contest.

10 comments:

Rob Sterowski said...

I've been meaning to have a look in the Scottish Brewing Archive myself, but have only just started perusing the list of the documents available. When will you be here?

Rob Sterowski said...

Oh, and what's in Govan that I've missed?

Alan said...

Wave hello to Greenock, land of my father. See if you can find one good fact about the place's beery history. All I know is that the big night out in the pubs is still Wednesday because that is when the shipyards handed you your pay.

Ron Pattinson said...

Barm, I'll be in Glasgow two weeks from now.

The archive looks amazing. It's going to be a frantic few hours while I'm there.

Do you live in Glasgow?

Tandleman said...

I used to be a member of the Scottish Brewing Archive many years ago. When it was in Edinburgh, the then curator, Charlie McMaster was a mate of mine.

Rob Sterowski said...

Yes, I'm in Glasgow and I'd be delighted to take you for a pint in the event you have any free time.

In case you don't already know this, the archive is literally round the corner from one of Glasgow's top beer pubs, the Three Judges.

Andrew said...

So that means it'll be Oxford and Birmingham next, then on the Tour de Brewing Archives

Ron Pattinson said...

Barm, we'll be in Glasgow 9th - 12th. I'll have to check when I'll have a skylight of opportunity for a beer.

Stephen Harris said...

I think you'll find that Edinburgh is chock full of volcanoes - so not going there was a narrow escape.

Ron Pattinson said...

Stephen, my son Lexie was genuinely worried when I mentioned Edinburgh's volcanoes.