Tuesday 4 August 2009

The Franconian Diet

I'm just back from god's country. No, not Yorkshire. Franconia. (Try counting the crucifixes and you'll understand how literally true that is.)

To be honest, I'm a bit knacked. My train rolled into Amsterdam Zuid just after 11 o' clock last night. Despite cramming several pigs and half a dozen barrels of beer into my fragile frame, I'd managed to lose a kilo. The Franconian Diet. Could be the next big thing. At a kilo per five days, I'd only need to stay there a year to hit my ideal weight.

Over the next week, I'll tediously recount every sausage, seidla and schnapps. I don't expect to entertain, just record events for posterity. My version of events.

This is my blog. I can, and do, write whatever the flip I want. That's why blogging is so much better than proper journalism. Where some twat tells you what to write, then changes it afterwards. No-one, neither editor, nor proprietor nor advertiser stands between me and thee.

12 comments:

Barry M said...

That looks like a proper breakfast in that photo.

Ron Pattinson said...

More like a between-meals snack.

Do you recognise whose leg it is protruding from those dodgy shorts?

aaron brown said...

Hi Ron,

I tried to find you at the Annafest but failed, sadly. I even wore a shirt that said 'Shut up about Barclay Perkins' on the back. Oh well. This blog is where I first read about the Annafest and your guide helped me a lot. So thanks.

Now off to explore Bamberg!

Cheers
-Aaron Brown

Barry M said...

I don't for certain (I'd be very worried if I did recognise someone based on part of a hairy knee!), but would I be right in guessing it's a certain Bier-Maniac?

Ron Pattinson said...

Barry, close, but not quite right.

Barry M said...

Crap. I'm even trying to figure if I recognise the camera, but I can't concentrate with that perfectly formed Knödel in the picture...

Put me out of my misery. Do I actually know this knee? :D

Ron Pattinson said...

Barry, that's Jeffo's knew.

Barry M said...

I never had the pleasure of sitting on said knee...

Ron Pattinson said...

Aaron, what with the crowds, it's no surprise you couldn't find me. If I'd spotted your T-shirt, I'd have definitely come over and spoken to you.

John said...

What's the round thing on the plate?

An apple? An uncommonly round portion of mash? Sticky rice? A peeled swede or turnip?

Ron Pattinson said...

John, that's a Kloß, a sort of dumpling. Very nice it was, too.

MentalDental said...

Schweinshaxe, token greens, and Kloß. A proper German bar snack!

I'm not jealous at all. Next year maybe...