Thursday 13 August 2009

British Stout 1950 - 1963

Remember I mentioned the 405 Stouts I had details of? No? It was in the last Let's Brew Wednesday. The one I posted last Tuesday.

I thought there might be the odd loony out there interested in seeing the whole table. So that's what you'll find below. In ascending order of OG.

The diversity is quite striking. OG's from below 1030 to almost 1080. Attenuation from 33% to over 80%. And just about everything inbetween. Many breweries still produced more than one Stout, often of similar gravity but wildly differing attenuation.

Though sweet Stout was clearly gaining the ascendancy, there were still some with similar profile as Guinness. Michell & Butler's Extra Stout is a good example of such a dry Stout. G. Younger's Sweetheast Stout is from the other end of the spectrum. That was hardly fermented at all.

Anyway, here's the table. See if you can spot your favourite extinct brewery. I'll let you in on a secret. Mine's there.








6 comments:

Tandleman said...

Worra lorra stouts. And breweries. Spotted my two favourites, Higson's and Lees. It's a who was who of British Brewing this. Lees Archer was brewed until a few years ago. I still have a bottle of it. I notice it was remarkably consistent over the years, with one sudden drop by almost half in attenuation, which was presumably either an aberration or a miscalculation.

What a remarkable set of tables.

Ron Pattinson said...

Tandleman, that's just a small excerpt from the full table which has 8,000 plus entries of all styles of beer.

And in Scotland I discovered two more gravity books. I reckon I'll soon have the details of more than 10,000 beers.

Tandleman said...

Bet the buggers had to taste them all too. What a lovely job!

Bill Schneller said...

Truly amazing. Thanks for sharing this for us table geeks. I'm going to have to print these out and really stare at them.

Anonymous said...

Any chance you could post some kind of scatter-plot comparing OG and attenuation?

Ron Pattinson said...

fermentables, er, I could do. If I knew how to create one. Can you do it in Excel?