Sunday 29 August 2010

Bayreuth (again)

Schinner Braustuben

The brewery tap of the Schinner brewery. Except the brewery doesn't seem to be there any more. Maybe Mike will like the beers here a little more. You never know. Though he does seem to have got it into his head that he hates Bayreuth beers.

At least they've got a larger range of beers than Pils and Hefeweizen.

Schinner Altfranken Braunbier: Dunkles, dunkles, dunkles - yeah!

If I were to go all style-nazi, the Dunkles is more Munich than Altfränkisch. (That means it's sweetish rather than hoppy. You had realised there were several styles of Dunkles, hadn't you? No? Then you need to get yourself a copy of Decoction. That explains it all.)

"I'm going to have to clean off my sausage. They've stuck it in mustard." It's never too late in the day for a sausage joke. By the look on Mike's face, he doesn't agree. He should be paying me for the entertainment I provide. Ungrateful bastard.

"Is your Kellerbier dark, Mike?"

"Yes."

"Bastard. I'd have ordered that if I'd realised."

I look more closely at the menu. "Dunkles, unfiltriertes" it says in the description of the Kellerbier. I should pay more attention.

The waitress comes by. "Do you have Schwetschen schnapps?"

"Yes."

"A double, please. And a single for my son."

"You're very well preserved for your age."

"It's due to all that smack I did in the sixties. Man."

Mike likes the beer a little more than the others in Bayreuth. That's a relief. Now I'll be able to sleep tonight. Dreaming, no doubt, of Munich and its beer gardens. We'll be there tomorrow. You should come along, too.




Schinner Braustuben
Richard-Wagner Straße 38,
95444 Bayreuth.
Tel: 0921 - 67673
Fax: 0921 - 516 6055
Email: info@schinner-braustuben.de
Homepage: http://www.schinner-braustuben.de

2 comments:

Elektrolurch said...

The schinner beers are brewed at neuhaus by kaiser. That's why they were not allowed to sell their beer at the last bayreuther bürgerfest, only bayreuth breweries were allowed.
form the ones that actually brew in bayreuth, i like becher and manns. you should have went to manns bräu in friedrichstr., the best bayreuth beer in the city centre!

Ron Pattinson said...

Elektrolurch, do you have any more info on Manns-Bräu? I'd like to add it to my pub guide.

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/bayrpubs.htm

Any other tips (or photos) are most welcome.