Sunday 26 February 2023

Perspective (part two)

Being older has some upsides. Like getting into priority lanes in South America. And added perspectives.

At the start of my drinking career, the 1930s were the distant past. A time almost beyond human memory.

When I'm perspectiving, I like to use my own experience. For example, for drinkers on the cusp of WW I, what was their idea of beer prices. When, for oldies like me, there might have been no increases in their lifetime.

My first pub pints were fifty years ago. And a bit more. For someone my age, back in 1973, Their first beers would have been in the early 1920s. When the shrapnel from WW I had barely stopped flying. Drinkers I shared pubs with would have experienced very different pints from me. In terms of strength, taste and price.

I wish I'd been aware enough as a spotty twat to ask them.

You youngsters won't have to ask me. I have this blog to bore you with my perspective. Until you twig.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron, I did a paper round in 1963 for which I received the princely sum of 7/6
This bought me a pint of Shippos every lunchtime in the Wolds Hotel in West Bridgford. We drank in the Bar and the teachers used the Lounge.
At the time my Dad was complaining about the high prices of everything , prices had risen a lot in his lifetime

Anonymous said...

Thought it was the opposite way round the students in the lounge and their teachers in the public bar.