Tuesday 21 February 2023

Getting ready for Rio

I'm off to Brazil quite soon. For another round of beer judging. I only do it for the social aspect. And the weather. Not forgetting dossing around in Rio for a couple of days.

In preparation I've spent a big part of the day scanning the Tetley Beer & Malt Specifications. That may seem an odd way to prepare for a trip to South America. I suppose it is. My fault, really. As I insist on posting every day. Which means that when I travel, I need to have a couple of weeks of posts scheduled.

Over the next week I need to write at least eleven extra posts. The easiest way to do that is to have some sort of theme. One worthy of multiple posts. I don't think I can get away with many more posts of DDR labels. Something else is needed.

That's where the Tetley document comes in. It has very detailed specifications of all their Leeds-brewed beers. Ingredients, process and loads more. What's best is that it's dated October 1985. Just after I stopped drinking Tetley Mild by the gallon.

Expect lots about Tetley's beers in March. And maybe some DDR labels, if I get lazy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

having a DDR label post is not half bad. Maybe not a full theme though. The plan presented sounds fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Mid to late 80's big brewer milds - just at the start of my drinking career - can't contain my excitement!

Professor Pie-Tin said...

Ron - could you help an old boy out.
My young 'un ( 23) is doing a rite of passage trip to Amsterdam with three mates. They don't have much money so I'll end up having to bung in a few sovs.
Could you recommend anywhere where they can enjoy good beer but without the hefty price tag that comes with it.
And perhaps recommend a couple of decent places in the centre.
It's a decade or so since I've been on a beer trip there.
The lad works in a craft beer bar back home so likes a good slurp of anything interesting.
Cheers.

Bribie G said...

Looking forward to the Tetleys.

I've never been a mild man but back in the 1970s I would take the train down from Newcastle to York and luxuriate in the proper Tetley cask bitter served through a tight sparkler.

I have brewed my own tributes and seem to remember some unique hops such as some Northdown that gave a slight citrus hint?