Tuesday 14 February 2023

Alaska here I come?

I've fancied visiting Alaska for a while. You can blame all those reality TV programmes.

Let's face it, I have a limited number of good travelling years ahead of me. Best get in as much as I can while I can still walk .

My plans are in their very early stages. I've pencilled in the first half of August. Well, I wouldn't want to visit in winter. 6th – 16th July are the provisional dates.

Juneau and Anchorage are the towns I plan to visit. Any brewers there fancy hosting a brewing historian? Get in touch.

4 comments:

InSearchOfKnowledge said...

Love the commercial. Reminds me of a time where people put much effort in illustrating books.

Russell Gibbon said...

Not sure about that Arctic Ale! "You could stand a spoon up in it." i have the recipe, but could never drink it. Being in Alaska in Summer is heaven on Earth . . . you REALLY need to plan getting out and about in Nature while you are there. Don´t know any Alaskan brewers as my adventures there were decades ago.

Steve D. said...

Juneau is difficult to get in-and-out of!
You would need a pond-hopper flight from Anchorage to get there. Hitting breweries in Anchorage and Fairbanks is much simpler to accomplish.
How I know about Alaskan Brewing is due to two separate elements. In 1988, at the Chicago Beer Society's Annual Fall Tasting, in a field dominated by breweries within a day's drive from Chicago, Alaskan Brwg.'s Smoked Porter, which was somehow submitted, won the top prize. This news spurred interest in the brewery. I dare scribe the Chicago Beer Society made the brewery. It still exists and brews today, and its beers are available in Chicago. The other is that when the Univ. of Illinois - Chicago fielded a men's ice hockey team (R.I.P. 1996); its relative newness to Division I resulted in scuffling for other similarly disparate ice hockey programs. Two of which were the Universities of Alaska - both Anchorage and Fairbanks. Those universities apread Alaskan culture to metropolitan Chicago.

Anonymous said...

My favorite brewery in Alaska is Denali Brewing in Talkeetna. Excellent little town.