Monday 24 October 2022

Chicago - Wednesday (part two)

Sheffield's for food it is then.

“It was one of the first accounts for Honkers. The first, depending on whether you believe Greg or John Hall.”

Sheffield’s is a corner bar of surprising size. With a compact, but rather lovely, beer garden at the back. A beer garden worthy of the name, with a big, old cottonwood tree providing shade.



The owner drops by and chats with Mike. Old friends. While we sip our beers. Honkers for Derek and Mike. I fancy something a little stronger. Like Goose Island Small Batch #8, a barrel aged quad. Dead yummy it is. A perfect luncheon Ale.

We have BBQ - pulled pork sandwich for me. Very nice, it is. Especially sitting in the shade of a mature tree on a mild, sunny day.

I only have time for one more Small Batch #8 before Mike has to whisk us off to our next appointment. Dovetail. And we’re already late.

I started bigging up Dovetail to Derek long before we arrived in Chicago. The well-made Lagers might be reason enough. Their equipment is what I think would interest him most. And the processes performed on it.

Hagen Dost and Bill Wesselink, owners/brewers, and Jenny Pfäfflin, brewer, are waiting for us in the bar. As well as Liz Garibay. I waste no time in reacquainting myself with their Helles. Is it still as good? Hell, yes. Still throwing itself down my neck before I can stop it.

We get a tour from Hagen. Which takes longer than he expected. Derek is an inquisitive bloke and asks a lot of very detailed questions. Prompting long discussions between the two. All very informative. But my legs are starting to ache. Just as well I’ve a Dunkel in my hand.

The open fermenters are quite impressive. One has a chute of as type Derek and I discussed just yesterday. It’s so exciting to see one. You can guess how dull my life is if I get this thrilled by a fermenter.


Tour done, I sit at the bar and rest my poor old legs. While Derek continues in deep conversation with Hagen. I think it’s about fermenters as Derek is showing him his presentation.

Beer time for me. Few Rye, a barrel-aged Rauchdoppelbock. That sounds right down my Strasse. Scrumptilicious. So much so, I have a second. Why not? I’m unlikely to ever come across it again. And it is rather good.

The others all find the Dunkel their favourite. For me, it’s the Helles. So drinkable. So satisfying. A real drinking beer, like Augustiner Helles. Which is a huge compliment from me.


Me, Derek Liz and Mike finish at the Hop Leaf, a beer bar whose owner is from Malta. Which explains the name. Hop Leaf being the Pale Ale brewed by Farsons on Malta. Though, originally it was a brand of Simonds of reading. No surprise that there’s Simonds memorabilia dotted around the walls.

I have a Half Acre Dark Czech Lager. Pretty nice. It makes up for not getting to Half Acre today as originally planned.

They have food. Great. Wouldn’t want to miss out on another meal. Though, I’m not hugely hungry. I just get a starter, smoked salmon dip. Liz and Derek share some mussels. They look lovely.

Mike has to rush off to catch a train. I hope he catches it as there’s a long wait until the next.

My friend Heaven Hill is waiting patiently for me back at the flat.




Sheffield's Wine & Beer Garden
3258 N Sheffield Ave,
Chicago,
IL 60657.
http://www.sheffieldschicago.com/


Dovetail Brewery
1800 W Belle Plaine Ave,
Chicago,
IL 60613.
http://dovetailbrewery.com/


Hopleaf
5148 N Clark St,
Chicago,
IL 60640.
http://www.hopleafbar.com/


My flights were paid for by Goose Island and my accommodation by Chicago Brewseum.


1 comment:

Steve D. said...

These were all great selections.
Sheffield's has been on my highly-recommended regular bookmark page from almost day 1. {You're on it too, Ron.}
It was my penultimate evening out on 9 March 2020. {I ceased going anywhere after that Wednesday.}

The Hopleaf Bar is spectacular. It should garner mentions in semi-official Chicago visitor guides. Distressingly, what is annotated are mainly lesser businesses with larger marketing budgets.