Thursday 13 October 2022

Back from Chicago

I arrived back in Amsterdam a few days ago. After a few days in Chicago to help launch Black Eagle, a collaboration beer with Goose Island and Wimbledon Brewery.

When you read the inevitable posts which will detail the trip, you may get the impression that it was one long pub/brewery crawl. It wasn’t. There were 30-, 40-minute stretches where no beer passed my lips. Mostly before breakfast. Or while stuck in traffic.


Also along was Derek Prentice. Former Truman’s brewer and all-round legend. Far more sensible than me. He was a positive influence. Especially on my diet.

The beer, our stab at Truman’s No. 1 Barley Wine, is a blend of two beers. One third is the Stock Ale, aged for around a year in wood and heavily hopped. Two thirds Runner, or young, Ale. Paler and less heavily hopped. And not aged.

Having tried the component beers at the launch, I’m now a big fan of blending. You can get a combination of characteristics not possible in a single beer. Like freshness and age.

I’m not worried about this sounding like an advert for the beer. Most of you won’t be able to buy it as it’s only available at the taproom. Sadly. Not much of it was made. Not enough to be spread around.

Next year is now on my mind. Where to go? I’m wide open to suggestions. Really, just about anywhere in the world.

All I have pencilled in is Atlanta/Asheville in late May and early June.

Invitations to judge in South America are particularly welcome. I really love it down there.
 


No comments: