Thursday 7 February 2013

The rebirth of Berliner Weisse

I'm glad that someone in Berlin has realised the sorry state of Berliner Weisse and decided to do something about it.

Bogk-Bier Privatbrauerei

I hope it's the start of a revival for this much abused beer style.


Yes, plenty of people have given Berliner Weiss a go in the US. But that's never going to have the resonance as a Berlin-brewed beer. At least not with me.

I still dream of the beer whose label you can see to the right. Of all the beers that have disappeared since I started drinking, it's the loss that saddens me the most.

Can't wait to try the new Berliner Weisse. From Berlin.

4 comments:

Sid Boggle said...

At least three London brewers have one available, as well...

Ron Pattinson said...

Sid,

dead authentic, no doubt.

Unknown said...

Ron,

Thanks for the link! I am doing my best here. I'm still unhappy about the head retention, it seems malts back in the days were less modified than the ones you can buy today.

Also, I still have variations between batches, which should be no surprise as the symbiosis between the yeasts and the lactic acid bacteria will take a while to become stable.

However, the taste is already very satisfying, and at least I can pick up the distinct flavour profile of the brett recovered from the VEB Schultheiß bottle.

You'll get a sample as soon as I start sending out bottles.

Cheers,
Andreas

Ron Pattinson said...

Andreas, it's good to hear that you're making progress. That whole symbiosis thing always sounded a nightmare to recreate.