Wednesday 27 October 2010

Café Brecht

Another new intersting pub whose opening I managed to miss. I'm such a dozy git. Especially as this is something I'd hoped for. For decades, if I'm honest. A German-themed pub in Amsterdam.

It was a bit of a shock when I walked in. I hadn't expected the interior at all. The bits you can see from outside look pretty normal. Once inside, you can se that th whole of the rear is like a 1950's sitting room. A jumble of unmatching easy chairs and settees. They've even left knitting lying around to reinforce the homely effect.

But you're not really interested in that, are you? You just want to know about the booze. It's an unusual selection. A dozen or so German Lagers in half litre bottles. But not just multiple version of Pils. Proper German lager. Hofbräu and Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest. Fässla Lagerbier. Lausitzer Dunkel, Augustiner Edelstoff. And the big boys from Schneider (yes, I am aware these aren't Lagers): Aventinus and Aventinus Eisbock.

Schnapps. I almost forgot about the schnapps. Proper German stuff, in four different varieties. Makes a nice change from jenever. Though they do have a couple of varieties of that, too.

On our early afternoon visit, most of our fellow customers are girlies having lunch. Which cheers up Mike. And me, come to think of it. They don't much look like half-litre types, though.




Café Brecht
Weteringschans 157,
1017 SE Amsterdam.
Tel: 020 334 3733
http://www.cafebrecht.nl/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like my kind of place! I would probably try to secretly knit a few rounds on the decorative knitting!

Ron Pattinson said...

I should have included a photo of the knitting, shouldn't I?

Elektrolurch said...

looks awesome....what beer do they have on draught?and do they offer german food, from the website it sounds like they dont, which would be a shame....
I'd love the picture: a proper Bock orFestbier, some german Kuchen and this enviroment in Amsterdam,hooray....

Ron Pattinson said...

Elektrolurch, Budvar and Weihenstephnaer Hefeweizen are the draughts.

I saw people eating what looked like a sort of pancake. I should have asked for a bite.