Problem is, there aren't many empires left. The Russian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, British and Austo-hungarian Empires are long gone. As are the Chinese, Indian and Turkish. Even the Central African Empire has become a republic. Where is there left to brew a genuine Imperial beer?
Whether or not the United States was ever an empire is a contentious issue. Politics are beyond my remit, so don't expect an opinion from me. Just an observation. Where are most beers labelled Imperial brewed? Why are brewers in a republic so keen on the word?
. . . . . .
Because this is Mild Month, here's an extra bonus: some new Mild styles:
- Mild Extra Super Special (MESS)
- Cascade-Hopped American Super Mild (CHASM)
- Triple Russian Imperial Mild (TRIM)
- Republican American Mild (RAM)
- Democratic American Mild (DAM)