Wednesday 21 August 2024

Back to work

As the casualties mount in your generation's regiment and you realise you'll be on the front line forever, poems and letters home become equally urgent. In my case, that means trying to balance travel and work. Work, in my "retirement", meaning writing those wordy things. What are they called? I know: books.

I've done a lot of travelling in the last few months. And it's pretty much - no, totally - stopped my principal work. Finishing "Keg!" and then "Free!" before I die. All the travel and travel posts are done. For a few weeks, at least. What now?

I have to get on with one or other of the books. But I don't know where to start. Or even where I left off. Was it Runcorn?

Getting back into history mode might take a while. Harvesting some Cairnes records should help. If I can still remember what everything means. I'm up to May 1942. An interesting time. Should electroshock me back into research. I hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must be some interesting developments with Cairnes.
Oscar

Bribie G said...

Looking forward to Keg. My (now deceased, sadly) mate was originally from Monmouthshire and always used to drink Double Diamond and it turned out that we had both drunk it at the same pub back in the 70s.
I had a copy of Dave Line's Brewing Beers like those you
Buy and followed his recipe.

Turned out to be a cracker and mate was literally in tears. I lost the book in a house move.