Saturday 23 December 2023

Christmas saved

Yesterday, at Ton Overmars, they swore they had another crate of Abt at the back. But they were too busy to look for it. "Come back tomorrow."

He wasn't lying. It was mobbed. With annoying Christmas drinkers. Spending 20 minutes staring at the hundreds of whiskies. Get out of my way you fuckers. I need to find the cheapest Islay. I can only dream of buying Lagavullin.

I went back today. Far less crowded. No Abt on the shelves.

"Sorry, I was wrong. I think I forgot to order."

Well, there's Christmas fucked. I didn't say. I sadly surveyed the depleted shelves and settled on Guinness Special Export. And one bottle of Westvleteren 12. A good substitute for Abt. And not too crazily-priced at 4.95 euros. But I can't afford Drinkalongathon quantities.

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without Abt.

After sobbing a while at home, I remembered the Gall & Gall on Amsteveenseweg. They usually stock it. But how many bottles would they have? Enough for Drinkalongathon?

I braved the long trek there, over the river and beyond. Five bottles on the shelf. Could I stretch that little out over the whole of Christmas?

"Do you have any more bottles of Abt?"

"In the fridge."

Christmas saved.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose you know whether St. B's Christmas Ale is worth picking up?

Anonymous said...

Do you like St Bernardous Christmas ale Ron?

Anonymous said...

Ron , do you find much difference between Abt & their Christmas beer? Where I live, the Christmas seems more available.

Ron Pattinson said...

I haven't had the Christmas Abt for a few years, so I can't really comment on it. In the past, it's been quite similar to the standard Abt.

Ed said...

Yes but how many bits of string will I need?

Anonymous said...

Is it good on your cornflakes on Christmas morning?

Ron Pattinson said...

Ed,

didn't you read the pre-Drinkalongathon post? That gives all the string details.

Ron Pattinson said...

Anonymous,

there's gin for the cornflakes.

Ed said...

Can't believe I missed that. I'm mostly sorted but need to rush out and get an apple now.

Anonymous said...

My store had a choice between four small cans of St. Bernardus Christmas Ale or one big bottle, so I went with the bottle for the Drinkalongathon.

I suppose someone will tell me it's not an either/or choice.

Steve D. said...

I will sidestep that issue to point out a more general, but just as frustrating, issue with telephoning stores inquiring about their inventory.
They will ALWAYS have the brand and variety you seek - somewhere.
Just to get you in the shop; where upon discovering they really do not have it, you will purchase something else from them rather than trekking to another shop.
Good on you for remembering another shop and purchasing it there. 8=D}

Anonymous said...

Going to have Postcard brewing Broombridge wee heavy christmas ale and Porterhouse around the clock imperial stout 2022 for Christmas.
Oscar