Thursday 10 August 2023

Midlands Bitter in 1972

I’ve a fairly small set from the Midlands. Just three beers. A bit small to be drawing too many conclusions.

It’s the second most expensive lot, just behind the 13.9p of London. But it’s distorted by Worthington E, an overpriced keg beer. It costs a full 2.5p per pint more than the other two beers, despite not being any stronger. It’s what you’d expect, though. Keg beer sold at an unwarranted premium.

Worthington E isn’t just the worst value in this group. It’s one of the worst of all the beers analysed. The moral? Don’t drink evil keg.

At the other end of the scale, Batham’s Bitter is the second-best value of all the beers analysed, beaten only by the Three Tuns brewpub. It’s also the strongest in terms of ABV. And by quite a way, the next strongest being 0.5% ABV behind at 4.2% ABV. The high level of attenuation helped in that respect.

Though it also distorts the averages in this small set. Which is why this lot have the highest average OG and ABV.

I’m pretty sure that I had both the Banks and Bathams beers. Probably not that often, though, as I usually stuck to Mild, when it was available. Bathams Bitter is a lovely beer. So good, even the bottled version is very drinkable.

Midlands Bitter in 1972
Brewer Beer Price per pint (p) º gravity per p % ABV per p OG FG ABV App. Atten-uation
Bass Worthington E 15.5 2.44 0.26 1037.8 1007.1 4.00 81.22%
Banks Bitter 13 2.91 0.29 1037.8 1009.3 3.80 75.40%
Batham Bitter 13 3.32 0.36 1043.2 1007.1 4.70 83.56%
Average   13.8 2.89 0.30 1039.6 1007.8 4.17 80.06%
Source:
Daily Mirror July 10th 1972, page 15.


 

4 comments:

Bribie G said...

Worthington E's the beer.
There's satisfaction here.
It's the Worthington taste that satisfies.
Your worthy Worthington.

And I didn't need to look that up, burned into my cortex 52 years ago.

Chris said...

Is Batham's bitter one of the very few beers pretty much unchanged since the 1970s? And it's still excellent value. Or, at least, it was the last time I had a pint, a couple of months ago!

Anonymous said...

How did the British brewers make such a hames of kegging beer Ron?
Oscar

Michael N said...

Chris said...
"Is Batham's bitter one of the very few beers pretty much unchanged since the 1970s? And it's still excellent value. Or, at least, it was the last time I had a pint, a couple of months ago!"

I think so. Many of the beers I drank and enjoyed in the 1970s are now pretty ordinary. Just when I think this perception is due to my changing taste I have a pint of Batham's and I realise it is the beer that has changed. You can't beat a pint of Batham's and a pork pie!