Sunday 1 January 2023

How to interpret brewing records - part one: general layout

What better way to start the year than reluctantly?

Against my better judgement, here's the start (possibly) of a series of posts on how to interpret brewing records.  Depending on the degree of apathy with which this post is greeted, I'll decide whether to continue.

A couple of people suggested I put together a pamphlet on the topic. Perhaps this is the start of that. Just not sure that I need yet another book project when I already have four unpublished manuscripts.

Right, let's go, shall we? I'm using as an example a Barclay Perkins Brown Stout log from 1891.

I'm using Barclay Perkins because their records are nicely laid out and contain lots of information.

Starting at the top, there's a header with basic information about the beer. Most of this stuff is pretty easy to understand.

At the top left are the mashing details:

All sorts of useful information there. Which I'll explain in detail in a later post.

To the right of that is space for details of a second mash tun and a column of remarks. In this case, there's also a remark in the second mash tun area.

Top right are boiling details:

On the left are some of the most important details, the grist:

Below are the hops:

Next along are the gyling details:

To its right, fermentation details:

Further along are the yeast pitching details:

Finally, I think these are cleansing details:

That's a quick run through the different elements of the log.

Let me know if you can make any sense out of these. And if you'd like me to continue. (Please say no.)

If there's enough demand, I'll explain each of the sections in mind-numbing detail. If you really want me to continue, maybe consider donating some money. That's an excellent way of encouraging me.

10 comments:

boBcat said...

If you don't tell us more we will never be able to pass on this valuable information to future generations.

Dave said...

I hate to do this to you, but this is one of the most interesting ideas you've had yet. Great stuff and I am looking forward to your detailed posts on the sections you laid out. I've always wondered about this information when you posted recipes and records in the past.

swigging-pig said...

I find this very interesting and would like to see more.

Maarten said...

Love to read more on all the details Ron!

Mick said...

No apathy here, all good beery information. Those old records look amazing, please continue to inform us. Will look at the donation thing. Supping on Fuller's 1845 now, a stunning bottled beer.
Happy new year Ron.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed just by the ability to read the handwriting.

Sionolann said...

Definitely interested. Do you know if brewing logs were similar in America in the 19th and 20th? Would this info help an American doing research?

Christoph Riedel said...

This is exactly the stuff that I'm ready to read now. Have been doing my homework the past 12 months reading up on your historical brewing books and was wondering if it was possible for us readers to once get all the details from you.

Happy to donate historical brews, if you take that instead of money.

Bob Campbell said...

It’s English but I have no clue as to the details. Please keep going…….

Ron Pattinson said...

Sionolann,

there are similarities. Though I've only seen a relatively small sample of North American records.