Monday 21 February 2022

Lazy Sunday in Atlanta

I wake early, just as the sun is poking its head above the horizon.

Not that I need to be up for anything. I have absolutely nothing scheduled. It's a rare luxury to be able to start a trip so slowly.

I've already scouted for breakfast locations. Turns out there's a diner just around the corner. Perfect.

I wander down to the dine around 8:30. It's deserted, other than the staff. A classic breakfast is what I opt for: bacon, eggs, hash browns and toast. Plus a coffee and an orange juice.


People gradually trickle in. Many in running gear. Seems to have been a 5K run somewhere nearby. Almost no-one can be arsed to wear a mask, despite this place's website saying that they are mandatory. Quite a contrast with Brazil, where 99.9% of people were wearing a mask even on the street. Not sure what that says about the two countries.

Getting a coffee refill, I read Viz for a while. Issue 304. Which arrived last week. It's almost a year old. I took out a subscription in November 2020. I'm still waiting or half the issues. Turns out they cancelled my subscription after several issues were returned as undeliverable. Fucking Brexit.

With tax and tip, the breakfast comes to $32. What the fuck? That's a bit steep for a diner.

I laze around in my room for a while. I type up yesterday. I'm so diligent.


Around 1 PM I take the massive walk to Meehans. It must be all of 100 metres. I've been here before. It's an Irish pub which is sort pub-like. I sit at the bar. In addition to Guinness and the usual Irish pub stuff, they also have a few craft offerings. I spot a tap handle with a Stout and order that.

Dry County Old 41 Stout
Black and very roasty. Not bad.

It's pretty damn quiet. But it is Sunday and it's downtown. It was a lot busier last time I was here. But it was a weekday then. In London, I doubt a pub would bother opening for this level of trade.

The three other customers have left. Just me and the staff now. My enthusiastic server, Harley, keeps coming over to ask if I need anything.

Time for an IPA.



Scofflaw Basement IPA
Nice, old-school IPA. Very grapefruity. My god - is this style of IPA old hat even for me?

A few more customers have dribbled in. Feels less lonely. I may not be keen on packed pubs, but it is nice to have a little company.

Starting to feel a little peckish, I order a corned beef reuben. It comes with chips.



"Do you need any condiments?"

"Have you got vinegar?"

"Sure."

You can't have chips without vinegar. It's pleasing to see that providing vinegar is getting pretty standard. And the right sort - malt vinegar.

I don't manage to eat it all. I get the leftovers packed in a doggy bag. Well, doggy container, really.

Being dead modern, I have my phone with me. And use it to take some photos. Though I still take some with my camera. I haven’t totally abandoned the past.


I have another IPAs to fortify me for the long trek back to my hotel. The IPAs cost $8.32 a pop. That's less than 8 euros for around a half litre of 7.5% ABV beer. That's cheap compared to Amsterdam prices.

It's just me, the TV and my hotel whisky. Happy days.

I finish off my reuben. Still feeling hungry, I fancy another sandwich. But it's almost 9 PM. My options are limited. Basically, to the Landmark Diner. I pop down and order another Reuben. My breakfast waiter is still serving. How long are their shifts?

Me and my Tomatin glide smoothly into slumber.



Landmark Diner

60 Luckie St NW,
Atlanta, GA 30303.
https://www.landmarkdiner.com/v3/downtown


Meehan's Public House Downtown
200 Peachtree St,
Atlanta, GA 30303.
https://downtown.meehanspublichouse.com/


5 comments:

Matt said...

Did you tell them about your personal connection with the Tetley Brewery sign they've got hanging up there?

Rob said...

A few blocks in any direction and you could have had breakfast at a Waffle House. Whether it would have been "better" or not is up to personal taste, but it would have been significantly less expensive.

Anonymous said...

$32 for a diner breakfast is definitely extreme. I looked at their menu and it looks like their prices are higherthan similar places in Manhattan.

Rushx9 said...

Landmark sounds sus... shoulda hit the Waffle House!😎

Zarsh Mogon said...

Vinegar! Yes! I've been badgering pubs, bars and restaurants in ATL to serve vinegar with chips for 30 years. Glad to hear it is starting to pay off. Another 30 years and you might be able to get a decent cup of tea :)