Thursday 24 February 2022

A slow day in Atlanta

On my way to the liquor store yesterday I spotted another diner. I give that a whirl.


It's on the first floor. Well, the bar bit is. The diner section is further upstairs. I unimaginatively opt for two eggs, bacon and hash browns. And coffee, obviously.

It's pretty quiet. Being large you hardly even notice the handful of customers. There are about as many staff hovering around. Mmm, a bit stingy with the bacon. Just two skinny slices. The eggs are nice, mind.


I spend most of the day mooching around my room. Nothing even vaguely planned. Other than an afternoon walk to the STATS brewpub.

Thankfully, the walk is pretty flat. And takes me past the dismal Centennial Olympic Park. A park with, other than a few trees, no plants. What the fuck?


It's easy to spot STATS from a distance. It has ATLANTA painted on its side in colourful letters. That's s bit strange. There are chairs on the tables. And no lights on. Damn. It doesn't open on Monday or Tuesday.

Luckily, next door, Max's Coal Fired Pizza is open. I take a seat at the bar. It sells beer from the brewpub. I get myself an IPA.



Bushwood IPA
Bit cloudy-looking. Nice and grapefruity.

You might have noticed that I'm getting a taste for these new-fangled IPAs. It's about all I've drunk this trip.

It says much about the state of beer in the US that a random pizza place has 8 craft beers on tap. They don't have a printed menu, mind. Just a QR code you have to scan with your phone. Not that I really intend eating here. I don't fancy pizza.

They have sacks of Pennsylvania anthracite. Some of which is burning away in the oven. Is it safe to cook with coal like that? I guess it must be. Not for me.


I just have the one beer. Then start the walk back. Calling in on the Hudson Grille for a bite to eat.

I sit at the bar again. It's quite crowded and noisy. Time for an IPA

Sweetwater Goin' Coastal IPA
Crystal clear. IPAey.

My beer descriptions aren't getting any better, are they?


After some deliberation, I order Southern Fried Chicken. Seems appropriate enough, given my location. It's not bad at all. Smothered in that white stuff that they call gravy over here.

Again, just one beer then back out into the dark.

I finish off my six pack of Bell's two Hearted Ale and watch some TV.

Nothing else to report, save for surfing to sleep on a wave of whiskey.


Metro Café Diner and Bar
229 Peachtree St NE B17,
Atlanta, GA 30303.
https://www.metrocafediner.com/


STATS Brewpub
300 Marietta St NW Suite 101,
Atlanta, GA 30313.
https://statsatl.com/


Max's Coal Oven Pizzeria
300 Marietta St NW,
Atlanta, GA 30313.
https://maxsatl.com


Hudson Grille
120 Marietta St NW,
Atlanta, GA 30303.
https://hudsongrille.com/






3 comments:

Mike in NSW said...

Looks like the perfect rebuttal of American serves being gigantic and most people taking the bulk of their meal home in a doggy bag.

A Brew Rat said...

Seems like you are mostly ordering West Coast IPAs, which hardly qualifies as "new-fangled IPAs". The hazy/juicy New England IPA, Belgian IPA and White IPA are what I think of as new-fangled. Even Black IPA has become old school.

FWIW, West Coast IPAs still are the best. As an American homebrewer, I stick to Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Amarillo hops for IPAs - every time I try another hop, I don't think it is good as a combination of those four hops.

Ron Pattinson said...

A Brew Rat,

new-fangled for me. I think Fullers ESB is a bit too modern.