Though the younger home brewers amongst you might find the malts a bit disappointing. Or malt, rather. As there's nothing other than pale malt. Sorry, but that's just how UK Pale Ales were. Very simple, malt-wise. It was quite a bit later - really post - WW II - before crystal malt became common in Pale Ale.
There's surprisingly little change in the malt content over the years. It's mostly aroud 80%, except for in the later war years. When it went both above and below that level. The real changes over the years were in the other 20%. Especially in the sugars, where both the types and quantities moved around a fair bit.
The percentage of flaked maize rose until the late war years, when it briefly fell to zero. This was all to do with availability. As all maize was imported, the German U-boat campaign had a huge impact on its supply. As it did on the types of sugar available to brewers, as certain becames were diverted to food production.
The proportion of flaked maize remained around the 10% level during the interwar years. As we'll see in more detail in a later post.
|Fullers AK grists 1887 - 1920|
|Date||Year||OG||pale malt||flaked maize||no. 2 sugar||caramel||glucose||other sugar|
|Fullers brewing records held at the brewery|