Thursday 14 April 2011

I've been tidying up

Browsing back through my blog, I noticed a regular feature I'd neglected. Pictures of my bookcases.

My passion for displaying my book collection isn't difficult to explain. So I won't bother trying. Submit to it? Yeah, that's more like it:



I'm so proud. Books I can get at without breaking any fingers.*

"What about turning it into a competition, dad?"

"Great idea, Andrew."

[In reality, Andrew said "Leave me alone." and switched on Myth Busters.]

He couldn't be arsed to think of a question (a programme he's seen before is more important than a bit of quality creative interaction with his dad). So I've come up with one. I'll tell you what it is in a minute.

The prize. You'll want to know what the prize is. Something unique. A special hardback edition of one of my books. Possibly with extra stuff in it, depending on my mood and workload. Limited editions are all the rage. Can't get much more limited than unique.

The question. Which book did I most recently buy?




* I think I might have cracked  a bone tidying the books.

23 comments:

Gary Gillman said...

Beers of Britain? Fine book.

Gary

BryanB said...

"Onderzoekingen over het Gistgeslacht Brettanomyces"?

Ron Pattinson said...

BryanB, on which part of the shelf can you see that book?

dave said...

"Investigations into the yeast species Brettanomyces"... damn Bryan B beat me to it.

arn said...

middle shelf in the plastic bag?

Ron Pattinson said...

The Brettanomyces book isn't in the photo.

Duncan said...

"Technologie Brauer und Malzer" - a phrase completely alien to my spell checker!

mentaldental said...

Ale, Beer, and Stout Bottling?

Troy said...

Good Beer Guide to Belgium

Seems like a recent book....

athelstanbrewery said...

Brewing Processes, H. Lloyd Hind?

Ron Pattinson said...

No-one's even close so far.

Here's a clue: it's a book I haven't mentioned on the blog.

Gary Gillman said...

Drink in Great Britain?

Gary

StuartP said...

I'm going for 'The Railways of Newark on Trent'

Craig said...

I couldn't garner a guess.

What I would like to know is: Does Baron's book "Brewed in America" mention Albany, NY?

Albany was for 60 years the brewing capitol of the U.S. Unfortunatley, it's history is almost totally forgotten. Taylor & Sons produced more than 100,000 barrels in 1850, alone.

Ed said...

Looks like it's 'Beers of Britain' to me.

Duffbowl said...

"Origin and History of Beer and Brewing"

Thomas Barnes said...

Perhaps one of the books on the stack beneath your main glasses case?

Svierges Oelkrogar?

A foray into Baltic/Swedish brewing would certainly break new ground on this blog.

StuartP said...

OK, second guess: The Great Liverpool Pub Crawl.
Any closer?

Ron Pattinson said...

OK, here's a second clue: it's on the top shelf.

arn said...

the beer guru guide by ?chris street

Ron Pattinson said...

Ex-library book help?

Thomas Barnes said...

Alcohol and Temperance in Modern History, 2 volume set?

It looks new, it doesn't have obvious book marks in it and it doesn't have anything piled on top of it. New, it goes for something like $185 U.S. If it is your new purchase, I hope you got a deal on it!

Ron Pattinson said...

Thomas Barnes,

well done! Alcohol and Temperance in Modern History was indeed my last purchase.

I paid $77 for the pair. Didn't seem too unreasonable.

Send me an email and we can work out what your prize is.