Wednesday 25 June 2014

Chicago day two

Nothing planned for this morning. Let's take a look at the shops. In particular Trader Joe's. That's a supermarket and I have a pocketful of food orders from Lexxie.

Invisible Kool Aid he particularly keen on. Pretty sure I'm not going to find that here. It's a bit of a hippy shop. And most of the stuff is their own brand. I get some chocolate covered coffee beans. A big package. Lexxie was really past off last time when Andrew polished them off. Plenty for everyone this time. I get myself  bottle of beer, too.


I pop into the smaller shop opposite called Milk & Stuff or something. Seems to be mostly cheese, booze and sweets. I see they sell spirits in ordinary shops here. Trader Joe's was selling it, too. You don't see that much in the US.

I've had an email from Ted Perez, who orgainsed this evening's event. Do I want to meet for lunch? Sure. We agree on a sushi place close by. Nice and light. We have a very pleasant lunch, chatting of various beery things. You know how it is. Hard to stop once you get started. At least it is for me.

Ted can't stay long because he's working. I've still some time to kill before this evening's event. I go back to Trader Joe's and get another beer. Seems silly not to. A bomber of something IPA-ey. Nothing too heavy.

Tonight's event is downtown-ish. Me and my box of books take a cab. The weather isn't great: grey and grisly. I'm still trying to get a handle on the city. We're heading directly towards the the skyscrapers of the city centre. To begin with. We vear right to skirt the downtown and get to the south, which is our destination.


Moxee Kitchen & Madmouse Brewery is embedded in the Iniversity of Illinois. A good spot for a brewery, I guess. All those thirsty students nearby.

Due to organisational difficulties (I left it too late) the format is slightly different.There won't be a set of homebrewed beer, but some De Molen SSS and maybe something else to try. Not 100% sure what.


After setting up my books in an attractive pile, I'm called over to the bar. One of the brewers from Green Flash is there chatting with the bar manager. He's trying to persuade him to take some of his beer. Doesn't seem like much persuasion is necessary. We chat a little and  Ipersuade him to buy a copy of my book. Result.

The event is pretty low key. A bit too low key, perhaps. There is some homebrew. Someone has brewed a Younger's No. 1. They've even used the proper label. I'm dead impressed. The beer is pretty good, too.


One of the audience, Mark Linsner, offers to take me around a few pubs when the event is done. We head off into the rainy night, with nothing to protect us but our thirsts.

We arrive at the Map Room. "Ron!" someone calls. Well blow me if it isn't Joe Stange. What sort of coincidence is that? Turns out he's also headed to Grand Rapids and the NHC. What a small world it is.


I'm not too late. My flight is at midday tomorrow. No need to be up too early. Which is how I like it.








I'm not going to stop plugging my book now. I'll be carrying on to the bitter end.

The Home Brewer's Guide to Vintage Beer.












Moxee Kitchen & Madmouse Brewery,
724 W Maxwell St, Chicago,
Illinois 60607.
http://www.moxeerestaurant.com/







The Map Room
1949 N. Hoyne
Chicago, IL 60647.
Tel: 773 252 7636
http://maproom.com/

 

1 comment:

Matt said...

Maxwell Street was Chicago's leading outdoor blues venue until the University of Illinois started buying up land and demolishing buildings there.