Saturday 8 December 2007

London II

Sekforde Arms
34 Sekforde Street,
London EC1R 0HA.
Tel: 020 7253 325

06.12.2007 11:45

Youngs Winter Warmer
This is a beer I've rarely had draught. Strange, because, as one of the last remaining Burtons, it's a beer of particular interest.

Caramel, figs and a slight roastiness. A trace of hop, too. Alright. I may have a second. After the beer hack's dinner last night, I need a pick-me-up. And a massive fry up. Where's the nearest cafe? I'm in no rush. With the archives closed, my day has become frighteningly lacking purpose. Maybe I'll buy some sausage and pork pies in Tesco's. The kids expect me to bring something back from my travels. What could be better than a bag full of meat products?

I'm just around the corner from Stonch's elegant gaff. He was good enough to let me use his spare room. I heard the door close as he left for work, poor bloke. I had another couple of hours kip.


Jerusalem Tavern
55 Britton Street,
London EC1M 5UQ.
Tel: 020 7490 4281

06.12.2007 12:30

St. Peter's Mild (3.7%)
You may notice a theme in my drinking today: old-fashioned dark ales. Mild is rarer than five-legged dogs in London. Which makes it all the more satisfying to drink one here. St. Peter's is a pleasing shade of dark brown with a tan head. It's smooth and comforting, as a Mild should be. Unchallenging, but in a positive sense. I don't want my envelope pushed today, thank you.

What a cracking pub the Jerusalem Tavern is. Intimate, social, simple and painted in exactly the same shade of green as the Amsterdam jenever bars I love so much. People seem to agree with me; it's hard to find a seat at 12:30 on a Thursday. I've just noticed a range of Plymouth gins. I feel right at home. What to try next? Mmm . . . I fancy a Stout, but maybe I'll have a Winter Ale first.

The beer selection, though all from one brewery, is nice and varied. On draught they've got Mild, Bitter, Spiced Ale, Winter Ale and two others. Bottled there are a couple of Stouts, Porter and several more. A good variation in strength - what I wish was available in English pubs but normally isn't. I'm (pleasantly) shocked at how high a proportion of the customers are buying Mild or one of the strong, dark, draught beers.

The barstaff start talking to me when they see me taking notes. They're quite pleasant. Am I really in London? And Stonch - you were spot on about the barmaid.

St. Peter's Winter Ale (6.5%)
Great to see a beer of this strength on draught. A very similar colour to the Mild. Good start. Roasty up to the point of being burnt. Bit of liquorice, some fruit, a dash of cream - sounds like a bizarrely pretentious pudding. It's rather nice. Glad I ordered it.


To finish, a question. Why don't London pubs have beermats?

7 comments:

Stonch said...

She's not just the barmaid, she's the manager. And the guy with the beard at the Betsey is her boyfriend...

Ron Pattinson said...

Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Stonch said...

Ron, did you try the Spiced Ale? You might have seen the review on my blog. They just put a fresh cask on today and I had some at lunchtime. Fantastic stuff, I think.

Ron Pattinson said...

No, I didn't try the Spiced Ale. I went for the Winter Ale instead. I only had time for two pints.

Anonymous said...

So, what about the barmaid?

Ron Pattinson said...

She's a very charming lady.

Zythophile said...

The Plymouth distillery is owned by John Murphy, who also owns St Peter's Brewery, hence it's the house gin in the JT ...

As for the beermat question - they're not hip any more, daddy-o ...