Saturday, 10 October 2026

Let's Brew - 1884 Lees K

A Lees Brown Ale Label featuring a drawing of a man in a flat cap.
There was also a stronger Mild at Lees. With an equally enigmatic name as its weaker sibling U.

This one is very similar in strength to a London X Ale. And relatively dark. Though I’m not totally sure about the colour, as I don’t really know how much black malt was used. The quantity is given as two “canfulls” I’ve guessed that to be about half a quarter. I could well be wrong.

Usefully, the type of sugar is given in the brewing record. Two types, actually. Not that it helps me much. As I’ve no idea what they are. “Audax” and “Burnel” (I think). The second sounds like a manufacturer’s name.

There are lots of hops. An awful lot of hops. Nine types in total. Ba 1878, Ba 1882, Chams 1882, Bur 1882}, Russ 1882, Light 1883, Poperinge 1883, Sussex 1883, Kent 1883. Not sure where they’re all from, though there seem to be quite a few foreign hops. 

1884 Lees K
pale malt 12.50 lb 95.57%
black malt 0.25 lb 1.91%
No. 2 invert sugar 0.33 lb 2.52%
Strisselspalt 180 min 1.50 oz
Hallertau 60 min 1.25 oz
Fuggles 30 min 1.25 oz
OG 1057
FG 1017
ABV 5.29
Apparent attenuation 70.18%
IBU 44
SRM 15
Mash at 149º F
Sparge at 170º F
Boil time 180 minutes
pitching temp 61º F
Yeast Wyeast 1318 London ale III (Boddingtons)

 

No comments: