Tuesday 8 November 2016

Random Dutch beers (part forty-eight)

Not quite finished with Bokbier yet. Tasting them this way is loads more fun than trying to trying the buggers blind. I'm never submitting myself to that hell again.

Turning the ignition with a beer a contract-brewed job, purchased in Deen.


Cornelis Herfstbok, 6.5% ABV
Fiarly dark brown. Nuts, malt and dark fruit aroma. Sweetish and malty, but not sickly. A straight doen the middle Dutch-style Bok.

"Do you want to try my beer, Andrew?"

"No."

"Do you want to try my beer, Dolores?"

"Yes, I suppose I can. Mm. That's quite nice. Quite buttery, isn't it?"

It's now Sunday and the roast - gammon, if you're wondering - is in the oven. Sunday Brunch is on the telly and I've just poured a dear, old favourite.


Amstel Bock, 7% ABV
I can't remember how much it cost, but it was ridiculously cheap. I doubt it was more 50 cents for 30 cl. It's a delightful red-brown colour. Malt and liquorice aroma. Sweet in the mouth, but not sugary. Balanced by liquorice and a little bitterness. Understated, balanced and totally drinkable.

"Do you want to try my beer, Lexie?"

"OK." Alexie says dubiously. "Alright. It's a bit ruddy."

"Ruddy? What do you mean, it tastes red?"

"Woody, Dad. It tastes like wood."

Don't get that myself. I just get Bocky goodness.


No comments: