Friday 3 June 2016

Random Dutch beers (part thirty-one)

Saturday is becoming my most productive day. I knocked off a BeerAdvocate column this morning, a Let's Brew Wednesday recipe in the early afternoon. Time to relax with a beer or two.


Brouwerij 't Ij Summer Wheat Ale 5.6%, (€2.40 for 30cl.) 
Amother cloudy one. Though it is a wheat beer. It smells very summery with its lemon and wheat thing. Really quite lovely. Think I'll just sit here and sniff it for a while. A similar citrus thing in the gob, but also a surprising amount of bitterness. I quite like it. Not quite in the same class as Schneider's Hopfenweisse, but pleasant enough.

"Do you want to try my beer, Andrew?"

"No thank you, dad."

Ungrateful bastard. He's already scored 10 euros off me today. No need for him to be nice now.

Next is the beer recently voted Holland's best. According to RateBeer, it's brewed at Bierbrouwerij Praght.


Bruut Gajes 8% ABV (€2.45 for 33cl.)
Reasonably clear. A bit of citrus in the aroma. But it's all spices in the mouth with bitterness nailed on at the end, like a wooden tail on a bronze equestrian statue.

"Do you want to try my beer, Dolores? It's the one that's supposed to be the best in Holland."

"It's OK. Not exactly my taste, but I'd drink it."

It's supposedly a dry-hopped Tripel. It does seem to have the malty yeast thing of a Tripel. And lots of late bitterness.



Bruut Bier
Conradstraat 70A
1018NK Amsterdam
Tel: +31 6 28851002
Tel: +31 20 3637950
Email: info@bruutbier.nl
http://bruutbier.nl

No comments: