Saturday, 12 September 2026

Let's Brew - 1941 Youngs PAB

A Young's Pale Ale label featuring drawings of a ram, hop flowers and barley.
What have a couple of years of war done to Young’s weaker Pale Ale? A few things. But nothing too dramatic.

For a start, the gravity has been reduced by 4º. Though a higher degree of attenuation leaves this version actually a teeny bit stronger. I think I would have been able to live with that. A slightly thinner, but more alcoholic, beer.

Exactly the same elements are present in the grist: pale malt, No. 1 invert sugar and malt extract. Though I have included in the base pale malt a small quantity of enzymic malt. I’m pretty sure that enzymic malt no longer exists, so I’ve just substituted pale malt.

There has been a change in the quantities of the grist elements. The quantity of No. 1 invert has been halved, replaced by more base malt. Meaning that the percentage of malt has increased, from 85% to 90%.

Two types of hops, Worcester and Est Kent, both from the 1940 harvest. 

1941 Youngs PAB
pale malt 7.00 lb 90.32%
malt extract 0.25 lb 3.23%
No. 1 invert sugar 0.50 lb 6.45%
Fuggles 120 min 0.50 oz
Fuggles 60 min 0.50 oz
Goldings 30 min 0.50 oz
OG 1035
FG 1006.5
ABV 3.77
Apparent attenuation 81.43%
IBU 20
SRM 4.5
Mash at 152º F
Sparge at 174º F
Boil time 120 minutes
pitching temp 58.5º F
Yeast WLP002 English Ale

 

 

1 comment:

BradM said...

Simpsons still produce Dixon's Enzymic malt. To the general market it is sold as Aromatic Malt but some traditional breweries like Hook Norton still call this product Dixon's Enzymic. The malt is manufactured in a similar fashion to melanoidin or honey malt so most brewers will be able go get a substitute.