I'm just back from a brief weekend trip to London with my son Andrew. The reason: the 70th birthday of Pete, one of my university friends.
But I'm not going to tell you anything about that because it's private. And it's not really beer-related. There was one beery activity: meeting up with Tweedy Pubs for a few pints. I really like his pub videos as they're so well researched. He's also a very amiable chap.
We met in the Queen's Larder. A new pub to me. It's odd I've never been in, as it's close to where I usually stay in London. A rather nice pub, too. With decent cask beer. I really enjoyed the Tim Taylor's Landlord. A beer which sometimes isn't looked after that well in London.
I had planned to take Andrew to the Blind Beggar. But we got stuck in 'Spoons. As you do. Andrew has a very soft spot for 'Spoons. Probably because I took him and his brother Alexei into them so often when they were younger.
The UK is still a nightmare if you have kids. You've no idea from the outside whether they're allowed in a pub. That's why Wetherspoon's pubs are a godsend. They always let children in. I also knew that I can afford to buy all three of us meals and get a pint for me. And a couple of double whiskies. I needed to calm my nerves when out and about with the kids.
Shakespeare's Head is a pretty typical Spoons.Other than that the toilets are easily accessible. Not hidden away in some far corner, up a couple of flights of stairs and along a 50-metre corridor. I sweat it took me 10 minutes to walk to the bogs in the one in Dublin city centre.
We ate in "Spoons a couple of times. Because it was cheap and easy. The fish and chips I had were pretty decent. And very well-priced for the centre of London. The mnushy peas were way better than some I've had in chip shops recently. Like the otherwise wonderful A 1 Fish Bar back home.
Though it was much more expensive than the branches outside London. My pints of Abbot were a bit over a fiver. Last autumn in Folkestone 'Spoons it was about three quid cheaper.
It was a bit hot in London. Not too bad though. Other than in our hotel room. Oh well. I had some whisky to cool me down.
Our flight back was pretty late. Landing around 23:30. Later than I like, really. It was a little after midnight when we tumbled through our front door. No Dolores. She was already in bed. No tea, either.
Almost forgot. I had a fried breakfast both mornings. Bacon, egg, tomato. The perfect start to the day. I thought you'd like to know that. Here's a photo:
The Queens Larder
1 Queen Square,
London WC1N 3AR.
https://queenslarder.co.uk/
Shakespeare's Head
Africa House,
64-68 Kingsway,
London WC2B 6BG.
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/shakespeares-head-holborn/





2 comments:
Is there any particular reason for the ban on kids in some places?
I think in the US it only happens when owners think there's something unsavory that goes on that they don't want kids exposed to. Or maybe they think little kids scare the older customers.
In general, no-one under 14 is allowed on licensed premises. Pubs have to get special permission from the licensing authorities to admit children. And most don't bother.
Post a Comment