I manage to drag myself out of bed around 8:00. As planned. There’s a win to start the day. It’s going to be a busy one.
Breakfast is a pretty decent buffet. With fried eggs and bacon. Though the bacon is rather undercooked. I accompany my fried egg with cheese and tomato instead. Probably healthier.
At 9:30 a bus takes us to an estate on the edge of the village of Wąsowo. Where, in addition to the numerous other activities, a small brewery recently opened on the site. Called, logically enough, Browar Wąsowo.
After a quick tour around the various former farm buildings, we dive into the brewery. Housed in a red brick structure. It’s all very new and shiny inside. As you would expect for a brewery that only opened in 2025.
We’re taken around the various rooms in the brewery, which is two storeys with cellars. Before returning to the fermentation room for samples. Beginning with a Grodziskie which has only just finished primary fermentation. “A bit raw still.” We’re told. It takes perfectly fine to me. With the smoke and hops in good balance.
Next is a Pilsner. Which is clean and decently bitter. Very drinkable.
We roll over to the onsite restaurant. Which is also a sort of taproom for the brewery, serving seven of their beers on draught. Today, that’s: Berliner Weisse, APA, Witbier, Lager, Black IPA, Hazy IPA and Saison. A pretty decent variety of styles. Not just IPA variants.
There are bits of food for us. And samples of the draught beers. Which, just as they were in the brewery, are very good. I kick off with a Black IPA. Mostly because you never see them anymore. Maybe a bit on the roasty side, but pleasant enough. The Hazy IPA I follow it up with is also fine.
It’s getting on for 13:00 when we drive off in the bus to return to Grodzisk. For a bit more judging. The second round. But there’s time for a quick beer outside. It is pretty hot, after all. I wouldn’t want to dehydrate.
Yesterday I judged “straight” Grodziskie. Today it’s the category for beers with additional ingredients. Some interesting ideas, not all of which work for me. But a couple where they really do.
Only eleven beers. No need to fill out score sheets, either. I just scribble a few notes. I really mean scribble. I struggle to read them a few minutes later. There’s a lively discussion. Which is resolved without resorting to physical violence.
Our table is one of the last to finish. And the lunch buffet is running a little thin. Just about enough left for a decent meal. I wash it down with some Grodziskie. I’m not missing any chance I get to drink it here in Grodzisk.
Once lunch is chomped and Grodziskie has been drunk. we return to the malt house for a tour. Working from the bottom up. Much of it hasn’t been fully renovated. Some isn’t even slightly done up. With the top floor not being safe to enter.
The brew house is just across the yard. It has a pretty traditional layout. Though the equipment is all shiny stainless steel. There’s even a baudelot cooler. Which seems to be in use.
The open fermenters are hard to see, with their tops far overhead. They look pretty big.
It’s about a 15-minute walk from the brewery to the festival,
Grodziskie Piwobranie. I’m glad that the sun isn’t out. On the way, we
walk past some random old Soviet military equipment parked next to a
building.
The festival is quite a modest affair, held in a town park. With lots of families. There are half a dozen brewery stands, each selling a range of beers. At pretty reasonable prices: 3 to 4 euros for a half litre.
I get myself a half-litre of Lager. Well, someone else gets it for me as my credit card won’t work. It’s a pleasant enough beer.
All the judges climb onto the stage for the competition results. Which I don’t understand, as they’re in Polish. Once that’s done, we trail off the stage again. To make way for a Queen cover band.
As a storm is forecast, I find a seat under an umbrella. I wouldn’t want to get drenched. Noticing a stall with an old bloke selling what look like bottles of spirits, I wander over there.
I buy a half litre of some fruit-based spirit. It’s little rough. Let’s be honest, it’s very rough. I mix it with some beer to make it more palatable. Which is successful to some degree.
I chat for a while with the Finnish judge. And share s shot of my dodgy fruit stuff. He seems perfectly normal. 30 minutes later, he’s flat on his back. I didn’t think the fruit stuff was that strong. But his legs seem to have stopped working.
As everyone is feeling a bit tired, we arrange to be collected by the bus an hour earlier at 21:30. Of which I’m mightily pleased. I’m feeling pretty knacked.
Raindrops start to fall when we’re halfway to the bus. I’m a bit wet when I climb aboard. It’s a bit of a drive back to Grodzisk. But it’s not straight to bed back at the hotel.
A gaggle of judges crowd into a room. Where football is watched and beer is drunk. Though I’m not drinking beer. I’ve brought myself a stiff whiskey down from my room.
Germany are surprisingly losing. Though have pulled things back by the time I retire to my room. I’m too old to stay up past midnight. And don’t.
Browar Wąsowo
Poznańska 2,
64-314 Wąsowo,
Poland.
Folwark Wąsowo
ul. Poznańska 2,
64-316 Wąsowo,
Poland.
http://folwarkwasowo.pl/
Browar w Grodzisku Wielkopolskim
Poznańska 16B,
62-065 Grodzisk Wielkopolski,
Poland.
http://browargrodzisk.com/
Here's a video of the day:














2 comments:
That style of judging seems so much more civilized than the giant events. I realize the big ones serve marketing purposes, I guess.
It was quite nice and relaxed. A fun competition.
Post a Comment