Tuesday 3 September 2024

Beers I miss (part three a) Younger's No. 3

I should really have done this beer as part three, shouldn't I? Missed a trick there.

My relationship with No. 3 goes back a long way. To even before I could llegally drink. Which is more than 50 years ago.

Back in the early 1970s, a recipe for a clone of No. 3, which at the time was unavailable. Me and my brother brewed it up and it turned out pretty well. For an extract beerm, that is. Which is a sign that we made it very early in our homebrewing career, before we switched to all malt.

No. 3 was a bit of an oddity. A Scotch Ale which was much weaker than most examples of the style. And was quite often sold on draught, unlike the stronger versions. Let's take a look into its history a little.

In the first half of the 19th century, William Younger brewed an array of Strong Scotch Ales. Which, as was Scottish tradition, were given shilling designations. This referred to the wholesale price of the beer per hogshead. Their gravities ranged from 1076 for 60 Shilling to 1141 for 140 Shilling.

For some inexplicable reason, Younger introduced a new range of Strong Ales, numbers from No. 1 to No. 4, ranging in gravity from 1077 to 1099. Perhaps they were trying to emulate the Strong Ales of some Burton brewers, such as Bass. Oddly, they continued to brew a rnage to strong Shilling Ales. Over the years, the range of numbered Ales was whittled down, until only No. 1 and No. 3 remained.

Scottish & Newcastle revived No. 3. at the end of the 1970s. Which is how I came to encounter in the wild. In the early 1980s, I was living on Burley Road in Leeds. Me and some of my mates became members of the Burley Road Liberal Club, Basically, just so we could play snooker. The club was tied to Scottish & Newcastle and had a couple of their bbeers on handpump: Younger's IPA and No. 3.

Being a Mild drinker, I naturally plumped for the No. 3. Which was sort of like a strong Mild. Dark and not too hoppy. A rathher pleasant drink to go with a few frames of snooker.

A couple of years later, when I was working in the centre of London, me and my colleagues used to hang out at an S & N pub around the corner from the office. Usually, at least twice at lunchtime and twice after work each work. Just like Burley Road Liberal Club, it had Younger's IPA and No. 3 on cask. I'm sure you can guess which I usually drank. And which worked wonders for my darts game.

When did I last drink Younger's No. 3? It's a long time. It could possiblly be as long ago as when I last worked in London. Which was October 1985. I might have had the odd pint after that. But they haven't registered in my memory.

Of course, S & N discontinued No. 3 again. I'm not sure exactly when. I think in the 1990s. Looking back on it - and having seen earlier brewing records - I suspect that No. 3 was IPA with caramel added. At least in its final incarnation.
 

7 comments:

Mike said...

I remember having it a few times in the 90s and it not being very memorable (I used to live practically next door to the brewery and it was very hard to get hold of)

Matt said...

As a teenager in the late eighties, I drank keg Wilson's mild just before it disappeared, at a country pub near Manchester Airport. It had a very pronounced, but quite pleasant, caramelly taste. Their brewery in Newton Heath, north Manchester, had not long since shut and it was being produced at the also soon to shut Webster's in Halifax. I'm sure that was just their bitter darkened and sweetened.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a more malt forward barleywine.
Oscar

Anonymous said...

You wouldn’t get away with that these days.
Oscar

Robin said...

I ended up spending the summer of 1984 based in Glen Coe. Youngers No.3 was the drink of choice most evenings in the Clachaig Public Bar. Nice drop as far as I can remember. I do remember sometimes mixing it with the 80 shillings.

Chris Pickles said...

I can remember the reemergence of Younger's No. 3. It was a somewhat legendary beer, Keith Waterhouse used to write about it in his 'Mirror' column during the period when it was unavailable. When it came out I made a special trip to sample it at the Turkey Inn, along with the newish Goose Eye beers.

Anyway I liked it. It did taste very similar Younger's IPA which I already liked.

At this time Younger's beers tasted (to me) very different to the offerings of McEwans which I found somewhat bitterer. I had a very embarrassing moment a few years later during a CAMRA branch trip to the S&N delivery depot at Garforth. I commented on how I perceived the two ranges only to be told that they were the same beer with different labels. Cue much laughter all round.

bigLurch Habercom said...

As CMBC now own the brand maybe we shound lobby them - oh wait its not in a green bottle and full or gas....