Tuesday 29 November 2022

Busy day in DC

Two events today. Brewing a beer and giving an informal talk. I rise a little after 8.

Paul and Jamie pick me up at 9. Luckly, the traffic isn't as bad as last night. And we're at Bluejacket by 9:30. I sneak in the back while Paul finds somewhere to park. I make my way upstairs to the brewhouse where Colin has the mashing well underway.


We’re brewing a 1939 Barclay Perkins Sparkling Beer. A Lager meant for the export market. And one of the world’s first canned beers. It’s unclear what style, if any, it was intended to be. Making it even more fun.

(What would you call it? 1048º OG. 10.4 SRM, 39 IBU my brewing software makes it. Vienna Lager is closest, I think. Except it’s too bitter.)

They still aren’t sure what they’re going to call the beer. Worried that Sparkling Beer will have drinkers expecting a paler beer.

“Why was it called Sparkling Beer?”

“I’ve no idea. Maybe because it was crystal clear and highly carbonated.”

Ro fetches coffee and pastries. I have a delicious croissant filed with cream cheese and lavender. Yum. There’s something new for you breakfast fans.

There’s quite a lot of standing around, fascinating as the conversations are. I really can’t be doing with hours of standing. I’ll pay for this later.

Colin pulls out a lovely old wooden box. Inside is a 19th-century brass hydrometer. It looks great. And very like the ones authors used to push in their brewing manuals.

A second object appears. A large volume of notes of a student at the Siebel Institute. Being pointed out to me are a couple of experimental recipes in the book. I realise I recognise it. I had it in my hands in Powell’s Books in Portland in the summer. I was tempted to buy it but its size and weight put me off. Weird to come across it again here.

While the wort is running off, we head downstairs for lunch. Not that I eat much. Just a few tater tots. I don't even drink a beer, just a diet cola. What have I become?

We nip back upstairs for a hop addition. Where I make my contribution to the brewing by tipping in some Saaz pellets. I almost scald myself opening the hatch. Breweries are dangerous places. I should remember that.

Paul and Jamie drive me back to Silver Spring. Where I laze on my bed watching The Block NZ for 90 minutes.

The day's second appointment is at Birch and Barley for dinner. Mussels and New York strip steak for me. It's excellent.

A bottle of Cantillon Rosé de Gambrinus appears. A fresh bottle. There's noticeably more cherry flavour than in the 20+ years old bottle I took to Williamsburg. Still a lovely beer.


Then upstairs for the event in ChurchKey. Before it kicks off, I'm handed a gorgeous-looking pint of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. On cask. It's absolutely delicious, with a lovely soft carbonation. When done well, cask-conditioning really lifts a beer. And this has been done really well.

The event is Mike Stein asking a few questions and me ranting on about brewing in WW I, with diversions off to WW II and other eras. It seems to go down well. Then there are audience questions. Quite a few. On a range of topics. Which I'm only too happy to answer.

My summary of summer beer choices – IPA, sludge IPA, sludge IPA with fruit, sludge IPA with fruit and shit, Sour with fruit, sour with fruit and shit, Pilsner – gets the biggest laugh of the night. What does that say about the state of beer?

When the talking is done, I flog some books. Quite a few books. Most of those that I have left. Damn. I should have brought more. Why can I never get the quantity right? I always have either too many or too few.

I'm my usual chatty self during the event. But fade badly when it's done. We leave a little before 10. Thankfully.

Happy to be back in my room and lying on my bed. And drift off in bourbon doze.



Bluejacket
300 Tingey St SE,
Washington,
DC 20003.
https://bluejacketdc.com/



ChurchKey
1337 14th St NW,
Washington,
DC 20005.
https://churchkeydc.com/

No comments: