Thursday 28 July 2022

1980 DDR hop extract and hop usage

More TGL 7764 fun. I told you that I'd drag out a stack load more posts from that wonderful document.

There is a very good reason for squeezing the dishcloth of this TGL 7764 totally dry. When this is published I'll be on a two-week trip to the USA with my kids.  As I can't post as easily when away, I always queue posts to cover the whole of the trip before I leave. Having a theme like this lets me bash out a whole load of posts quickly. I've been aiming for three every day.

I've also spotted a use for the material I'm accumulating. (I don't like writing a whole load of stuff on a topic without an ulterior motive.) It would fit very nicely into my book "DDR!". When I have time, I'll add it all in and publish a second edition. "When I have time" being quite a big caveat.

Right. Back to the actual topic. This table demonstrates a big change in DDR brewing practices since 1960. In the earlier edition of the standards, there's no mention of hop extract. In 1980, it could contribute up to 70% of the bitterness.

Remember me saying that the specs of Edel-Bräu Hell and ordinary Hell looked the same. Here's a difference: Edel-Bräu Hell had less hop extract and some top-class hops. Something similar is happening with the Pilsners, where the bottom-level Deutsches Pilsner has more hop extract and no posh hops.

Just realised that I have some labels for Vollbier Extra. Interesting. It cost 0.98 M for half a litre. While the stronger Vollbier Hell coast 0.72 M. Which might explain why Extra got better hops.

1980 DDR hop extract and hop usage
Type max % bitter substances from hop extract min % from A hops
Aubi 70
Dunkel (Einfachbier)
Weißbier
Extra 40 15
Hell 70
Edel-Bräu Hell 40 15
Dunkel (Vollbier) 70
Doppel-KarameIbier
Schwarzbier
Deutsches Pilsner 15
Diabetiker-Pils 40
Deutsches Pilsator
Deutsches Pilsner Spezial
Märzen 70
Weizenbier
Weißer Bock or Bockbier Hell
Dunkler Bock or Bockbier Dunkel
Deutscher Porter
Source:
1980 TGL 7764, page 6.

 

4 comments:

BryanB said...

Even today some breweries offer both a Pilsner and a Premium Pilsner - how likely is it that the difference between the two is still something of this kind?

Professor Pie-Tin said...

Ron - I'm in Chicago for a week this month.Is there any pub or brewpub or brewery visit you'd recommend above all others for someone with a pathological aversion to hop bombs ?

Ron Pattinson said...

Professor Pie-Tin,

Dovetail does great Lagers. Their Helles is superb.

Goose Island does some good stuff, too. (Not just the beers I do with them.)

Steve D. said...

Greetings, kind Professor.
Hear now. I am Steve. I live in Chicago. R. Pattinson has given you a couple
of venue choices.
If you visit Dovetail, you will pass by Begyle Brwg. on your way back to
the "L" station (or the CTA route #80 Irving Park bus). There is one English pub, and two German pubs, west of there on Irving Park. [You are going to buy a 7-day Ventra Pass? It is only $20. That's less than what three pints will cost at any one pub.]
But the breweries I more keenly recommend are
1) Metropolitan Brwg. (3057 N Rockwell St) (Lagers and other Germanic styles)
2) Ravinia Brwg. (2601 W Diversey Ave) (Tacos and unpretentious beers)
3) Maplewood Brwy. (2717 N Maplewood Ave) (Vast selection of beer styles in a diminutive spot adjacent to a commuter train line.)
4) Owen & Engine (2700 N Western Ave) (A genuine English pub with cask beers. Go upstairs. But beware- it is closed on Wednesday and Thursday.)
None of these brewpubs or bars are prone to hop bomb beer.
Drop these addresses into a mapping program(me). Much less walking needed compared to BRAPA.