Wednesday 21 June 2017

Let’s Brew Wednesday - 1899 Barclay Perkins X

You’re probably thinking: why is he still publishing Mild recipes when it’s almost the end of June? Because I can.

That’s the great thing about being your own man, without any editor or publisher to oblige. I can do what the hell I want, when I want to do it.be continuing to roll through Barclay Perkins X Ale recipes until I get to the 1930’s.

At first glance, this looks pretty similar to the 1887 recipe. Though on closer inspection there have been some significant changes. The most obvious being that the flaked rice has been replaced by flaked maize. Presumably on cost grounds.

The sugar content has increased from 12.5% to 18.45%. If only I knew for certain what type of sugar it was. Whereas in the last recipe I was fairly confident about my guess of No. 1 invert, this time I’m not so sure. The brewing record is no more specific than “Sacch.”. But I know this is about when Mild started turning darker. So it’s possible that the sugar was No. 3. Though it could also have been something else. There’s no way of knowing for sure.

I’m 100% sure that the Goldings in this recipe are Goldings, because it specifically says so in the brewing record. The other two hops don’t get more specific than MK and American.

Note that the boil time has increased again. It’s most confusing, this jumping around in the length of the boil. Absolutely no idea why they kept changing it.


1899 Barclay Perkins X Ale
pale malt 7.75 lb 70.45%
crystal malt 0.25 lb 2.27%
flaked maize 1.00 lb 9.09%
No. 3 invert sugar 2.00 lb 18.18%
Cluster 120 mins 1.00 oz
Fuggles 120 mins 0.25 oz
Fuggles 60 mins 1.25 oz
Goldings 30 mins 1.25 oz
OG 1054.7
FG 1009.4
ABV 5.99
Apparent attenuation 82.82%
IBU 52
SRM 14
Mash at 150º F
Sparge at 168º F
Boil time 120 minutes
pitching temp 61º F
Yeast Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ron , possible reason for the difference in boil time - reserved wort at a higher gravity, do any of the brewing ledger pages indicate this?, another reason could be the copper and it's evaporation rate
Cheers, edd

Ron Pattinson said...

Edd,

X Ale was getting weaker, so no need to get higher gravity wort.

Unknown said...

Should have said a higher gravity wort to extend the length ie a wort extender .

Kevin said...

Would it be possible to provide a glossary to help the rest of us sort out the many terms used in your writings?

I have taken to keeping a notebook by my side while reading your books and blog to jot down the random revelations about certain terms but it seems that while I am tracking down the meaning of one term I run across another two that puzzle me.

Thank you

phoneface said...

As a professional brewer, I adjust my boil time to fit my overall process--within reason of course. If I need an extra 15 min to prepare a FV, I'll extend the boil for the required time. I wouldn't be surprised if the changes to boil length were merely logistic in nature given the changes in equipment and process of the day.
Hard telling, not knowing...

Paddy MeBoy said...

I just tapped this brew. I used Becker's invert #3 and followed the recipe exactly. It's delicious. I would place it in category 13b of the BJCP guidelines, British Brown Ale.

Paddy MeBoy said...

Ron,
Is the poc at the top.the actual label for this beer?

Ron Pattinson said...

Paddy MeBoy,

no, it's for Doctor Brown Ale.