Saturday, 19 September 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Buy a signed paperback edition of the Homebrewer's Guide to Vintage Beer. For locations inside Europe.
Buy a signed paperback edition of the Homebrewer's Guide to Vintage Beer. For the USA, Canada, Australia and other locations outside Europe.
Make your birthday special - by brewing a beer originally made on that date.
For a mere 25 euros, I'll create a bespoke recipe for any day of the year you like. As well as the recipe, there's a few hundred words of text describing the beer and its historical context and an image of the original brewing record.
Just click on the button below.
The post The Great Balkans Road Trip: Skopje and Pristina (Day 6) f...
6 comments:
Have a look at this:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/how-to-harvest-prepare-and-store-homegrown-hops/
A box fan and a furnace filter works, or get fancier and run a box fan and mesh screens in a frame. You want airflow past the cones. Oast is the technical term. http://www.instructables.com/id/Hop-drying-oast/ but if you just stack some furnace filters horizontally on a box fan, it works decently. You can also make jerky in the same setup.
Can you easily acquire window screens at a hardware store? They'll be larger than furnace filters if you have a decent haven't. I just set them up with a fan blowing through them for a few days, vacuum pack the hops in 1oz. Quantities, and freeze them until I brew.
Living in a dry climate, I lay mine on a piece of cardboard at only 1 layer (of hops) thick. Then a fan blows over them for a couple days on low. I'll move the fan around so all of the hops get a turn. I'll also mix-up the hops twice a day so all sides get some exposure to the wind. This usually takes place in a warm garage which only takes 24-36 hours to complete, though sometimes the temp is fairly cool and it takes a full 48 hours to get as dry as I like. Once they're opened up like a pinecone and feel pretty darn dry to the touch then you can vacuum seal or use.
Assuming you don’t have to take them somewhere else, if I had fresh hops at home I’d just stick them in the freezer.
A food dehydrator on the 35-40C spice setting for 8 hours does a perfect job.
Post a Comment