Wednesday, 17 October 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Buy a signed paperback edition of the Homebrewer's Guide to Vintage Beer. For locations inside Europe.
Buy a signed paperback edition of the Homebrewer's Guide to Vintage Beer. For the USA, Canada, Australia and other locations outside Europe.
Make your birthday special - by brewing a beer originally made on that date.
For a mere 25 euros, I'll create a bespoke recipe for any day of the year you like. As well as the recipe, there's a few hundred words of text describing the beer and its historical context and an image of the original brewing record.
Just click on the button below.
The post The Great Balkans Road Trip: Belgrade – Novi Sad – Timişoara (Day 9) firs...
11 comments:
I've thought about doing it with the Henley strain, the guys at Northern Brewer did a batch.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2010/05/double-drop-fermentation/
I went through a phase of it probably 15 or more years ago. Ultimately, I didn't see any particular advantage.
Here is a post I made in 2001 on HomeBrew Digest about my experience.
http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/3525.html#3525-8
I used the method continuously for about 10 years.
It's a struggle to do if you're at work, and cant always pick the right time. When I eventually tried doing without, I couldn't notice a difference, and gratefully gave up.
So has anyone who's done it noticed a difference from a normal fermentation in terms of flavour?
It would also be interesting to know if it made a difference to the length of time the fermentation took (rousing up the yeast with the drop/adding oxygen?), the stability of the final beer and whether the beer dropped brighter once fermentation was over and it was racked than a "normal" fermentation did.
I used to.
I would say you get a brighter beer quicker, but double (or more!) the risk of infection by introducing a second fermenting vessel?
This thread is making me want to try it. Specifically Jeff's old post. I wonder if there's a way to moderate any diacetyl that's produced in order to give a bitter a little more character.
Seems that oxygenation can boost diacetyl production.
If you can locate the standard brewing textbook, Malting and Brewing Science: Hopped Wort and Beer, Volume 2, By J.S. Hough, D.E. Briggs, R. Stevens, Tom W. Young, pp. 678-670 cover this. These pages don't seem to be available on Google Books preview.
Jeff, I've a couple of editions of Briggs (published in 1975 and 2000) but both are a single volume. When was that one published?
Ron - It's the 2nd Edition, 1982, Look in the index for "Fermentation Systems." "Dropping system, 668" is a sub-category.
See http://books.google.com/books?id=ciA6-YMTI-UC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
I see that I mistyped the pages - they're 668-670.
Post a Comment