Saturday 8 November 2008

Secret Pubs

Sharp, sunny days have a simple adolescent charm. But when the taillights blur into a smudge of red, it's time for adult pursuits. Jenever time.

Cloaked in fog, the world becomes muffled and discrete. A time for secret pubs and strong drink. A cloak for the body and a cloak for the mind.

Secret pubs. I wish I'd kept more pubs secret. How many I'd love to cover again with fresh untrodden earth. But it's too late. Bastard.

I'll not make the same mistake again. Mike and I shared a drink or seven tonight. Good beer and old jenever. No, I'm not going to tell you the pub's name. Some things are best unshared. Sorry.

Without secrets, we're naked. I prefer to remain clothed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post! I'm so behind in my blog reading, Ron. But I'm really enjoying catching up here now.

Ron Pattinson said...

impy, glad you enjoyed it. I haven't been providing much light relief of late.