Saturday, 25 July 2026

Let's Brew - 1913 William Younger 80/-

A William Younger Monk Brand Ale label featuring a monk holding a foaming tankard of beer.
Yet another Eighty Shilling which isn’t what we now think of the style. But of the older type of Scottish beer that I call Shilling Ales.

The gravity has fallen again. But the FG has remained the same, making it even less well attenuated than the 1885 version. Barely over 50%. Which must have made for a very sweet and sticky beer.  Especially as the hopping rate has fallen again. Dropping from 5 lbs per quarter (336 lbs) in 1885 to just 3.5 Lbs in 1913.

Lots of changes in terms of the recipe. From no adjuncts in 1885 to over 40% grits. That’s quite a change. There’s barely any more base malt. It doesn’t sound like a great recipe with all that maize. I have tried a recreation of one Younger’s beer with a similar proportion of grits and it was much better than I expected.

Sugar has also appeared. Glucose is my guess. The brewing record just says “syrup”. I’ve guessed glucose, but it could also have been a type of invert. In addition, there’s caramel for colour correction. Which leaves this version looking like a dark Mild.

Three types of hops were used: Kent from the 1912 harvest and Pacific from 1910 and 1912. 

1913 William Younger 80/-
pale malt 6.50 lb 51.42%
grits 5.25 lb 41.53%
glucose 0.75 lb 5.93%
caramel 2000 SRM 0.14 lb 1.11%
Cluster 135 min 0.75 oz
Cluster 60 min 0.50 oz
Fuggles 30 min 0.25 oz
OG 1056
FG 1027
ABV 3.84
Apparent attenuation 51.79%
IBU 30
SRM 20
Mash at 151º F
Sparge at 160º F
Boil time 135 minutes
pitching temp 59.5º F
Yeast WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

Here's a short YouTube video I made about Eighty Shilling.

 

 

No comments: