Wednesday 24 June 2020

Let's Brew Wednesday - 1849 William Younger Export

After my little piece on IPA brewing in the 1840s, I thought I'd follow up with a recipe from the period.

It’s odd how names come around again. Younger’s Export was an early Scottish Pale Ale and a century later the term would again be used for a strong Pale Ale.

Just for the record, Export was probably considered an IPA in the day. But I’m going to refer to it as a Pale Ale, as I can’t be bothered to differentiate between the two. It saps my power, man. Younger rarely called a beer specifically IPA in their brewing records. But quite often did in advertisements or on labels.

Like all early Pale Ales it’s just a stack of pale malt and truckloads of top-quality English hops. The short boil could be an attempt to keep the colour as pale as possible. Or just because Younger preferred short boils. Some of their beers had even shorter boils.

The dry hops are my guess. It could even have been more.


1849 William Younger Export
pale malt 14.00 lb 100.00%
Goldings 80 min 6.00 oz
Goldings 30 min 5.00 oz
Goldings dry hops 0.50 oz
OG 1062
FG 1015
ABV 6.22
Apparent attenuation 75.81%
IBU 126
SRM 6
Mash at 152º F
Sparge at 184º F
Boil time 80 minutes
pitching temp 56º F
Yeast WLP028 Edinburgh Ale


The above is an excerpt from my excellent book on Scottish brewing:






Which is also available in Kindle form:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q8XHBL2

No comments: