Monday 4 January 2016

Random Dutch beers (part fourteen)

Yes, I'm continuing this crap into 2016. Why not? It saves me having to do any difficuly crap, like research. I just crack open a bottle and write some rubbish about it.

We'll begin with a beer for an outfit in Utrecht that started more than a decade ago, disappeared for a while, then reappeared. I can't remember the exact story. But they do have their own brewery. I drank their beers a bit the first time around


De Leckere Gulden Craen 6% ABV
A rounded golden colour with a white head much like Andrew's - worryingly pale. A pleasantly fruity smell, like a wholesale market in the early morning, but without all the noise. Doesn't taste like I expected. Quite a lot of hop bitterness in a twig sort of way. Like chewing birch twigs on a crisp autumn morning. Pretty well made and enjoyable to drink. A winner. It's a Blond, in case you're wondering about the style.

"Do you want to try my beer, Dolores?"

"If it won't make my mouth taste all horrible."

"No, this is a nice one."

Dolores takes a couple of sips. "Mm. That isn't bad."

Praise indeed.

Next, another from De 7 Deugden, an Amsterdam outfit, located in one of the least fashionable parts of the city.


De 7 Deugden Stout + Moudig 7% ABV
Black as a moonless midnight at the bottom of a well. Topped by a cream-coloured cumulus of foam. It certainly looks the part. The aroma is as roasty as an espresso bar's dustbin. In a a good way. That's rather nice. Roast bitterness dances on the tongue while a slug of chocolate slopes by.


It's been a good start to the year (it's the 1st January as I write). Two new Dutch beers that are more than drinkable - actually quite pleasurable. And I've already knocked off three blog posts today. What a dilligent Ronald I am.

No comments: