Thursday 7 January 2016

Random Dutch beers (part fifteen)

It will be interestinbg to see how far I can run with this one ion 2016. My guess is that I'll have lost interest by March. You probably lost interest in November.

Not that  a shortage of beers to try would be a problem. There are so many breweries in Holland now I'd have enough to last me years at the rate I'm going. I never thought I'd be able to say that. It's not that many years ago I seriously tried to sample every beer brewed in the Netherlands. No way I'd attempt that now.

Reassured by their lack of nastiness so far, I'm starting with another De 7 Deugden beer.


De 7 Deugden Scherp + Zinnig 5% ABV
It's a dishwater dirty gold, despite my best efforts at pouring it clear. A pleasant enough fresh hop aroma, with an undertone of fruit, like fallen apples in an orchard. In the mouth the fruit continues to lurk in the grass, while the hops dance amongst the trees. Another drinker.

I picked up several more beers in Nijmegen yesterday, all from local breweries. Who would have guessed Nijmegen would have five breweries?

I'm playing safe with my second beer, too. From Utrecht's De Leckere:


De Leckere Witter Vrouwen 5% ABV
Looks like the urine of someone with serious kidney problems: a hazy, pale yellow. Smells like a Belgian Witbier. Nothing wrong with that. Light and spicy, like a somethingy something. You fill in the blanks. Like a non-fatal accident in a spice mill. That do? You'll have to excuse me now while I go and finish the beer.

No comments: