Sunday 24 March 2013

A New Pub

"They've opened a new pub next to Dirk's." Dolores told me a day or two ago. A new pub. You can never have too many pubs.

"Where?"

"Right next to the Dirk's. Where they dug out all the stinky earth. They were open at 9:30 in the morning."

"Sounds like my type of pub."

I was still none the wiser. Only one option: take Andrew there at the nearest opportunity.

Saturday afternoon was that opportunity. It is indeed, right next door to Dirk's. In what used to be a workshop or something. The former industrial use is pretty obvious. Especially as they've performed minimal redecoration.

"It's got that rustic Belgian look, Dad."

Andrew's right. The walls are decorated with Belgian stuff. Old beer sign, posters. Makes the place quite atmospheric. There's an especially attractive Aigle Pils sign over the bar. The sort of thing I'd have in my living room, if I didn't have a wife.

"Look at all the families in here, Dad."

Andrew's right again. "I hate people who take their kids to the pub, son." I blame all the space. Plenty of room for those three-wheel yuppie pushchairs.  I'm reminded of the "Yuppies raus" graffiti that recently appeared on another gentrified pub in the nighbourhood.

We sit at the bar. A pleasant, copper-topped affair, but not quite flat. My beer leans alarmingly until I move it to a flatter spot. Next to my Filliers 8.

"The food looks nice, Dad."

"All the sustenance I need is in the two glasses in front of me."

"It's only 2.25 for a Pils." 

That's important to Andrew, as a Pils drinker. I'm more worried about the price of stuff I drink. €4.50 for a Tripel Karmeliet isn't too extortionate. Not for Amsterdam nowadays. And €3.80 for a Gouden Carolus Classic I can live with, too.

Somewhere new locally for me to go. Brilliant.




Van Mechelen
Sloterkade 96-H,
1058HK Amsterdam.
Tel: +31 20 221 2348  
email: info@stadscafevanmechelen.nl
http://www.stadscafevanmechelen.nl/
Opening times: Sun - Mon 09:00 - 01:00;
Fri - Sat 09:00 - 02:00.

2 comments:

Ed said...

Nice bit of writing Ron, I must look into getting over to Amsterdam for the Brett. festival in July.

Ron Pattinson said...

Ed,

I seem to remember promising to give a talk at that festival. Nothing long, just 3 or 4 hours.