Monday, 14 September 2026

Brussels

I was in Brussels with Dolores a couple of weeks ago. It had been a long time since my previous visit.

A decade or more ago I was a frequent traveller to Belgium. It's close to Amsterdam, easy to get to and has lots of interesting beer. No wonder that I went there often. But, in recent years, my travels have mostly taken me farther afield. As in, to other continents.

We stayed right in the centre, not far from the Grand Place. Which was handy for the city centre pubs. Not that we really got to visit many of them. Once, I knew my was around Brussels city centre. Not any more. I had to rely on maps.

Before we get any further, I really need to show you my breakfasts.

A breakfast of scrambled egg, bacon, hash browns, orange juice and coffee.

A breakfast of scrambled egg, bacon, hash browns, orange juice and coffee.

Not bad, eh? Bacon, scrambled egg and hash browns. That'll do me nicely. Along with some token fruit to appear healthy. In contrast to Dolores, who goes for a more diverse selection of food from the buffet.

I suppose that I should show you some pictures of my beers, too. Not that I drank all that many different ones.

A large glass of Tripel d'Anvers, a small glass of Brugse Witte and a small bowl of peanuts.

A large glass of Westmalle Dubbel, a small glass of Maes Pils.

One thing I did appreciate - and which you don't usually get in Amsterdam - is the choice of sizes for draught beers. Meaning that you can get a half litre, or even 75 cl, of a nice Tripel. It would have been rude not to take advantage. Though I didn't ever quite dare go for a 75 cl measure.

Why were we in Brussels? It wasn't just a random trip. It was Pete Slosberg's 75th birthday party, held in the Lambic-o-Droom just outside the city in Lot. I knew most of the people there. And all of them I'd met somewhere exotic doing the beer judging thing. Even the people from Holland and Belgium.

A row of large wooden barrels in a warehouse. The closeset two barrels have images painted on their ends.

Brussels City Centre was very touristy. But not quite as bad as Amsterdam. I don't think anywhere is. It's the one upside of living in an expensive, tourist-infested town. Pretty much everywhere I go seems relatively cheap and uncluttered by tourists. 

No comments: