Saturday 30 March 2024

Let's Brew - 2006 Youngs Special London Ale

Another recent Youngs beer for you. And one which was requested. By at least one person. Hopefully, I’ll soon have lots more for you. From lots of different eras.

I remember this beer quite well, as I drank it quite a few times. Mostly because it was bottle-conditioned. I'm not aware of it ever being sold on draught.

Though the recipe is very similar to the Pale Ale parti-gyle, this wasn’t part of it. In this case, it was with a beer called LA. Did that stand for Light Ale or London Ale? I’m not sure. I’ll need to ask one of the former Youngs brewers.

Not that the grist is much different. There’s just a slightly lower percentage of crystal malt. Otherwise, it’s just the same. Still just two types of maris otter pale malt to go along with the crystal.

All English hops again. The same ones as in the Pale Ale parti-gyle. 

2006 Youngs Special London Ale
pale malt 15.25 lb 95.31%
crystal malt 20 L 0.75 lb 4.69%
Fuggles 70 min 1.25 oz
Goldings 30 min 0.75 oz
OG 1069
FG 1019
ABV 6.61
Apparent attenuation 72.46%
IBU 22.5
SRM 6.5
Mash at 153º F
Sparge at 161º F
Boil time 70 minutes
pitching temp 64º F
Yeast Wyeast 1968 London ESB (Fullers)


1 comment:

Andrew Bowden said...

LA being Light Ale would be the obvious one given they have (had?) a bottled light ale - Light and Bitter (half a Ordinary mixed with a bottle of light ale) was one of my regular drinks when I used to live near Young's pubs. Never saw it sell in vast quantities so maybe doing it with Special London made sense.