Wednesday 20 May 2020

Brewing sugars now available to home brewers

One of the most frustrating aspects of publishing historic UK recipes was the unavailability of brewing sugars. From the 1880s to the 1980s, there's barely a recipe which doesn't require them.

But, now, finally, the classic numbered invert sugars are available to home brewers in the US. It's a very happy day for me.

If you go in for conspiracy theories, you might see this as no coincidence. First I cleverly seed demand with all my recipes, then cash in by providing the sugars. I won't say that this didn't cross my mind. But manufacturing isn't my thing.





Last time I was in the USA, I had conversations with my mate Matt Becker of Brewery Becker (located in Brighton, Michigan) about brewing sugars. We had a couple of collaboration beers and he'd found the sugar supply situation very frustrating. So he decided to do something about it. By purchasing the equipment needed to manufacture it.

And finally he's at the point where it's available for sale. It's all very exciting.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has made their own invert on how it compares with Matt's.




Disclaimer:
I make no direct profit from the sales of Matt's sugar. He is paying me a small sum for the advert which appears at the top left of this blog.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

The biggest drawback is the price. I can make over 10 lbs of invert for what they are charging +shipping for a 3lb can.

jordan b said...

I bought a couple buckets of the #3 immediately after seeing the ad on your site. Bought a couple cubitainers / polypins as well, so assuming everything arrives as planned I'm going to try and bash out a pseudo-cask mild this weekend.

petalia paul said...

pity is not available in the UK/Europe,
I guess its not worth a home brew stockist's while importing it as they havent bothered with selling Ragus invert sugars in small quantities,
Unfortunately with shipping and import taxes its way to much for me in Greece

Anonymous said...

Just a kind of side note: Invert sugar syrup may also be produced by thermal means alone: two parts granulated sucrose and one part water simmered for five to seven minutes will convert a modest portion to invert sugar.
Of course, it's an ersatz, but helps to start. What I've spotted, is beer made with addition of around 20% of such sugar tend to be pretty hazy, but maybe it's just coincidence.